diy solar

diy solar

Will this work?

Anit767

Would this work?

Backup off grid inverter wired to breaker box with generator interlock kit. This requires the main switch to be off before you can flip on the breaker that connects the generator (or inverter) to the breaker box.

If power goes off. Flip off main power. Then flip breaker that connects backup inverter to breaker box. Grid tie inverter thinks there is power and generates solar energy.

The problem with this strategy is that the solar system generates power that would be fed to the grid. That would be life-threatening to a repair lineman. Relieing on the manual flipping of breakers to accomplish this is just too dangerous. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a dual breaker system that allows that.

Look at a dedicated grid-tie to backup system like the Outback Skybox, which I think has the proper circuitry to allow your rooftop solar to be used to charge batteries. The skybox will handle to complete isolation of your solar from the grid.

The problem with this strategy is that the solar system generates power that would be fed to the grid. That would be life-threatening to a repair lineman. Relieing on the manual flipping of breakers to accomplish this is just too dangerous. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a dual breaker system that allows that.

Look at a dedicated grid-tie to backup system like the Outback Skybox, which I think has the proper circuitry to allow your rooftop solar to be used to charge batteries. The skybox will handle to complete isolation of your solar from the grid.
its impossible to backfeed with this.

No, the interlock prevents two simultaneous AC inputs into your main panel. BUT, your rooftop grid-tie AC output is NOT going to your main panel. It goes straight to the power company.

You would be creating a situation where when the grid is down, the grid-tie unit senses the AC from the inverter, and produces power that it sends out to the grid. That would be dangerous.

No, the interlock prevents two simultaneous AC inputs into your main panel. BUT, your rooftop grid-tie AC output is NOT going to your main panel. It goes straight to the power company.

You would be creating a situation where when the grid is down, the grid-tie unit senses the AC from the inverter, and produces power that it sends out to the grid. That would be dangerous.
Some of the diagrams I’ve seen have the pv inverter connecting to the main breaker box. Can it be done that way?

That depends on if his system feeds in through a breaker in the main panel or from a line side tap. A line side tap feeds the grid on the line side of the main breaker. My system and many that I have installed use a breaker on the load side of the main breaker. In this case the interlock can work as he suggests.
Thank you!

Back