diy solar

diy solar

Will's 12ga speaker wire

Leo3

Solar and Wiring Newbie
Will recommends 12ga speaker wire on his website for any 12v appliance such as led lights. Is that a good size for stuff like fans and lights, or too big? LIkely if installing something like a fan I'll be tapping in to an existing 12v run that's already right there where I need it.

LED lights are very low draw. A 4W LED is only going to pull 0.33A.

Fans may be a much higher draw and 12awg might produce an undesirable voltage drop.

12awg can easily handle 30A (360W), and is fine for short runs. Here's an example:

1600963219927.png\
from https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

5% is as much as you ever want to allow, and that % represents power loss in heating the wire.

For short runs, it's fine. You just want to be aware of the voltage drop.

Thank you! I have never seen that calculator - it's great.

I was looking at speaker wire for something similar. I have decided against it.

I am now thinking of some 50 volt or 60 volt wire for some DC runs. It's found as SAE J1128 wire, and seems to be in the price range I'm looking for. I can't seem to find this stuff on the shelf at home depot or Lowes, but can get it on line.

More specifically it will be USB quick ports. It'll be able to handle the 3 or 4 amp charging ports, but not sure about the 64 watt quick charge ports.

I've been pimpin' it on here as often as I can. :)
@snoobler are you saying you like that same wire that @chrisski is talking about? I am a noob so I am learning...sorry for the questions. Would you still get 12ga? I googled it and see it's meant for high temp or more harsh conditions than just inside some cabinets in an RV. It just carries more voltage than the speaker wire? If the system is 12v why do you need to carry up to 60v? I would probably also eventually use it for some USB or cigarette plug outlets. I am currently considering splicing the Sirocco II fan inline w/ some lights in my RV (somehow...I don't know enough about wiring right now to know exactly how I'll do it).

I have had positive experience with bntechgo silicone insulated wires. Very nice feeling and rated for high temps, but kinda pricey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KXW46L

The OFC on mobile solar power also is great. Less flexible but still carries 20 amps with barely any noticeable wire heating. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKX5F6S

For LED, AWG 12 probably fine unless it’s super bright. For anything bigger than a small fan, consider AWG 10 for reduced losses.

I have had positive experience with bntechgo silicone insulated wires. Very nice feeling and rated for high temps, but kinda pricey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KXW46L

The OFC on mobile solar power also is great. Less flexible but still carries 20 amps with barely any noticeable wire heating. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKX5F6S

For LED, AWG 12 probably fine unless it’s super bright. For anything bigger than a small fan, consider AWG 10 for reduced losses.

The voltage calculator above allows one to make gauge decisions based on the current, distance and voltage drop. 12awg at 30A over 5 feet will have a 4% drop.

I just use 2/0 for everything and I never have to worry about voltage drop.

;)

I ran 2/0 as far as I could, put in a stud and ran dual 6 awg from there.

Since I was obsoleting dual 6v golf cart batteries and replacing them with LiFePO4 I was thinking my trailer would end up with a net weight loss. Oops. It didn't work that way because I upped the wire gauge, added breakers, put in two more solar charge controllers and added two panels. I've been avoiding calculating the weight gain. And the 6v batteries are still on the tongue. :(

I struck a happy medium with good 14g speaker wire from fuse panel to the trailer accessories. Longest run is 9’ to led lighting and usb charge plugs. I only had 1 circuit that I felt better using 12g, that would be a connection for a bipap machine. Nothing else in the trailer would use More than 10amps, I cant see running all the lights at the same time ever. There is only four RV led lights per circuit with four separate circuits. ??
14C60D60-6D13-4277-BF63-B82F217C0097.jpeg

LED lights are very low draw. A 4W LED is only going to pull 0.33A.

Fans may be a much higher draw and 12awg might produce an undesirable voltage drop.

12awg can easily handle 30A (360W), and is fine for short runs. Here's an example:

View attachment 23580\
from https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

5% is as much as you ever want to allow, and that % represents power loss in heating the wire.

For short runs, it's fine. You just want to be aware of the voltage drop.
As a total electrical solar newbie...i'm wiring a van with AC power for appliances like: fridge, ceiling fan, 12v outlet, USB outlet, LED lights.
What safe wire size can i use so i don't have to purchase multiple wire sizes? Would 10AWG take care of it all? (The runs won't be that long since the inside space of the van is 11ft.)
Also, as LEO3 mentioned, would 10AWG speaker wire work? (Same type as the 12AWG wire recommended by Will )

When you say:
i'm wiring a van with AC power for appliances like: fridge, ceiling fan, 12v outlet, USB outlet, LED lights.
Are you saying that all your wiring will be AC (you will have no DC circuits (beyond the inverter and charger(s))? Or are you just mentioning that your van will have AC and have a 12v DC circuits?

If its only AC circuits, it'll be pretty simple to just pick a wire size and stick to it since its so standardized and such low current.

But I think that's not what you mean. Setting aside the inverter which will require much larger wires than everything else in most cases, the way I would go about it is figure out what (A) your highest current appliance/circuit will be (B) Your longest medium current to high current circuit will be (in terms of round trip distance) calculate the proper wire size for those circuits, then size everything based on whichever is larger. Its likely 10AWG would be fine for everything but the inverter and maybe chargers, but its hard to say without knowing the specifics of your situation.

One point to keep in mind, not all wire of the same gauge is equal. Insulation temperature ratings effect how much current a wire can safely carry. Many of the charts you see assum 105*C marine wire which is higher than a lot of household wire, speaker wire, etc. So check insulation rating before you buy, or just buy a big bulk roll of 105*C marine wire (its best for mobile builds anyways).

When you say:

Are you saying that all your wiring will be AC (you will have no DC circuits (beyond the inverter and charger(s))? Or are you just mentioning that your van will have AC and have a 12v DC circuits?

If its only AC circuits, it'll be pretty simple to just pick a wire size and stick to it since its so standardized and such low current.

But I think that's not what you mean. Setting aside the inverter which will require much larger wires than everything else in most cases, the way I would go about it is figure out what (A) your highest current appliance/circuit will be (B) Your longest medium current to high current circuit will be (in terms of round trip distance) calculate the proper wire size for those circuits, then size everything based on whichever is larger. Its likely 10AWG would be fine for everything but the inverter and maybe chargers, but its hard to say without knowing the specifics of your situation.

One point to keep in mind, not all wire of the same gauge is equal. Insulation temperature ratings effect how much current a wire can safely carry. Many of the charts you see assum 105*C marine wire which is higher than a lot of household wire, speaker wire, etc. So check insulation rating before you buy, or just buy a big bulk roll of 105*C marine wire (its best for mobile builds anyways).
Yes, there will also be AC power...I have all the wires and the connecting wires for that.
Thank you for explaining how to figure things out. I was leaning towards the 10AWG for the DC components. Appreciate you also mentioning the 105ºC marine wire best for mobile builds.
This is a real informative forum.

BTW...what's the difference about the wire being Flat or Round?

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before. I like the wire used for outdoor low voltage wiring. Available anywhere that sells low voltage lighting, UV and direct burial rated, twin lead zip strip.
Lowes sells Southwire, and advertises these specs:
  • This product can be installed outdoors exposed to sunlight
  • Suitable for direct burial
  • Rated -20˚C to 60˚C

Back