diy solar

diy solar

Will's 12ga speaker wire

And that exceeds my needs for low voltage connections. Even in a house, 12 Gauge wire is used for no more than 20A.
Your needs may vary.

The longer the length of the wire, the more the voltage drops. 12 awg wire, exceeds a 3% voltage drop at 12' (round trip length) at 20 amps.

I don't dispute that, but again.... it meets my needs.

The paired wire is a lot easier to work with, that's for sure. Looking back, if I had found paired PV wire I would have used that instead.

The only downside is that I can't tell if the wire I linked to is marked so you can keep track of positive and negative sides of the wire.

The paired wire is a lot easier to work with, that's for sure. Looking back, if I had found paired PV wire I would have used that instead.

The only downside is that I can't tell if the wire I linked to is marked so you can keep track of positive and negative sides of the wire.
Yes, it is. One wire is stamped with the UL/wire type/size info, the other wire has no marking.

I struck a happy medium with good 14g speaker wire from fuse panel to the trailer accessories. Longest run is 9’ to led lighting and usb charge plugs. I only had 1 circuit that I felt better using 12g, that would be a connection for a bipap machine. Nothing else in the trailer would use More than 10amps, I cant see running all the lights at the same time ever. There is only four RV led lights per circuit with four separate circuits. ??
View attachment 23706

Is that copper clad aluminium or pure copper?
CCA has Lot worse resistivity than copper wire and if you select larger gauge the wire doesn't necessarily fit to terminals.

Copper clad aluminium is banned from lots of installations and about only common uses are speaker wires and car audio power cables.
edit: toned it down, same brand seem to offer both OFC copper wire and CCA.

Last edited:
Is that copper clad aluminium or pure copper?
CCA has Lot worse resistivity than copper wire and if you select larger gauge the wire doesn't necessarily fit to terminals.

Copper clad aluminium is banned from lots of installations and about only common uses are speaker wires and car audio power cables.
edit: toned it down, same brand seem to offer both OFC copper wire and CCA.
The speaker wire I use is pure copper strand I will not use any CCA wires in my system. Not wise to cheap out by using CCA. :cool:

Edit, correction; Brain fart and I was mistaken on the speaker wire I used. It is indeed CCA not pure copper. ?
Glad it only being used for low current accessories. ✌️

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back