diy solar

diy solar

Will's book?

Wills book is available for free download on Amazon Kindle.

I don’t know if it has 24 volts.

I believe so

Generally speaking, its a basic but broad overview of much of the content he covers in his videos and on his website. In some areas it is not as in depth but it is more comprehensive (with the exception of batteries). It weaves together the various concepts and parts of the system. Its a good beginner level introduction and reference reference.

Not that it isn't worth paying for, but it was not free when I checked just now.
Lots of peeps with kindle unlimited forget they pay a monthly fee for it. Its free in the sense that movies on netflix are free (i.e. free as long as you pay monthly :p)

Lots of peeps with kindle unlimited forget they pay a monthly fee for it. Its free in the sense that movies on netflix are free (i.e. free as long as you pay monthly
Got to pay for KindleUnlimited so not exactly free.

I like mentioning that will’s book is available with kindle unlimited for free download. I dislike how this the thread into a distraction of its not free.

I like mentioning that will’s book is available with kindle unlimited for free download. I dislike how this the thread into a distraction of its not free.
I've got no issue with that, and totally agree its worth mentioning, But you didn't originally mention the part about kindle unlimited (a paid service that not a lot of people have) you just said it was free, hence the confusion.

Anyways, we don't need to beat a dead horse, its a minor point and its been clarified, we are on the same page I think.

Don't use the term free and then we won't object that if you have to pay for it, it is not free.

Doesn't Unlimited Kindle let you download EVERYTHING in the Kindle library on Amazon? That is not the same thing as Kindle making something free to download to everybody (which they do for individual books on a regular basis).

Is the horse dead yet? Kick, kick.

I did buy Will's book. I will come back with comments after I read it.

I read Will's book. Good help for a beginner. It does NOT cover 24V systems, in fact he recommends against 24V systems. I am building a 24V system because Will recommends it on the web site.

I would like to see and update to the book that includes 24V systems.

Tom

Just Do It!
Buy Will's Book & watch his YouTube videos. All good resources.
I know I have watched a video of his about 24V vs. 12V systems.

I read Will's book. Good help for a beginner. It does NOT cover 24V systems, in fact he recommends against 24V systems. I am building a 24V system because Will recommends it on the web site.

I would like to see and update to the book that includes 24V systems.

Tom
Perhaps if you leave some review where you bought or downloaded it he will read it. I doubt he can look at all the postings about him on this website. There is about 1 posting every two minutes. I can only guess he gets at least 100 messages a day and can’t possibly read them all.

You could always give him a mention by adding the @ sign before his name, and he will receive a notification.

Never read it, and don’t know if it contains 24 volts, but I was recommended “Solar for Dummies.” This seems geared for house installations.

After having installed a decent Sized system on my RV which I could live off for the rest of my life, it would never pay for itself. The cost per KW hour is probably 5 times what I would pay for fro the grid. My 1 Kw of panels will never produce the amount of power I get at my house. I could live off it and save money by toning down my power requirements, but I’m not sure how my wife feels about that. Actually I do; she told me if I decide to go full time boondocking she may visit me!!

My next step is going from 12 volt to 24 volts. I have 600 watts of roof mounted panels which are outperformed by my 400 watts of ground mounted panels, and when I up the voltage I will add more panels. I’m just figuring out how to do that. I was convinced another 400 watts of ground panels were the way to go Until a windstorm came and sent my portable panels (undamaged luckily) tumbling. Now I’m finding the right balance.

Thanks for your feedback. I may see if I can leave a review where Will may find it. I am currently building a 24V system with 600W of solar panels, a 280Ah battery, and a 3000W inverter. In the Colorado sunshine I should never need shore power.

Does anyone know whether Will updates his book? I bought it as a Kindle download, and it was 0.99¢—what a bargain.

It’s still a good book about the general design of an RV System.

What it will tell you is you can drill holes through the roof but won’t tell you the specifics of the roof type or tips ti watch fir cross beams, wiring, or ducking.

Those specifics, you can ask here and get all sorts of help.

Thanks for the replies. I will be building a system for my power catamaran this year, and this is the best forum I have seen.

Back