diy solar

diy solar

Will's Build Your First Solar Power System

exit8

The video is here

It looks like the Renogy kit comes with the cables from the charge controller to the battery.

If I don't buy that kit and instead buy the EPEVER MPPT charge controller that he recommends on his web page
titled The Minimalist Solar Package https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-minimalist-great-for-small-vans-and-cars.html ,
it looks like the cables are not included.
What gauge wire of cables do I need to buy?
Where can I buy them premade?

I also need the cables to connect the inverter to the battery.
I have a 2000W pure sine wave inverter.
What gauge wire of cables do I need to buy?
Where can I buy them premade?

Thanks Will... Just the info I needed to replace a propane fired generator which I think fried my old furnace circuit board. The furnace is 900w peak and about 600w continuous.

I'm hoping a 1.5k inverter similar to what you show will power the furnace during outages as well as possibly a fridge. I'm not talking at the same time. I'm looking to protect my home from occasional grid outages (only two significant outages in the last five years). I will run my furnace to bring the house up to temp, then connect to the fridge to do the same, so, little chance I'll need higher wattage than 1.5k or 2k. Maybe a couple led strip lights connected to light the way. I don't mind a high maintenance "fix" to protect those appliances and keep the home warm. Putting on some longies and some food in coolers in the garage is totally doable.

My gas company says gas service is not interrupted during power outages. Does this all make sense?

Tim

WindyNation makes pre-made cables you can buy on Amazon. If you need the ones for your charge controller to battery, you can just cut off the lugs on one end as I'm not sure they make wires with a lug on only one end.

Wire size chart that shows the max amps for each size: Disregard the yellow highlight, it was there when I downloaded the pic.

Windy-Nation.jpg

To further answer your questions.
If you are using the 20 amp MPPT he listed, he is using 10 awg wire from the charge controller to the battery. The instruction manual for the charge controller will typically cover this as well. These can usually be found online if you'd like to read it before you decide to purchase.

If you have a 2000 watt inverter with a 12 volt system, I would use 1/0 awg wire. I think this is the proper equation for the fuse size:
2000/ .85 / 12 *1.25 = 245. So a 250 amp fuse between the battery and inverter. And the 1/0 awg wire I listed is good up to 285 amps.

smoothJoey is the equation king around these parts, so he may pop back in to correct any math mistakes if I made one...

Terrific.
Thanks for all the links.

EDIT
Regarding the battery, is there anything that is between the cost of a SLA and LiFePo4 in terms of price?
Like TimC, I am only planning on using this system once or twice a year during a power outage.

Last edited:
Terrific.
Thanks for all the links.

EDIT
Regarding the battery, is there anything that is between the cost of a SLA and LiFePo4 in terms of price?
Like TimC, I am only planning on using this system once or twice a year during a power outage.
I've had a small 200 watt system, like the one you are building, up since 2015. I used one 12 volt Vmax AGM 125 amp hour battery with it and it's still going strong. It's the batteries listed on Will's page. Downside is you can only use 50% of the listed 125 amp hours so you don't degrade the battery prematurely. I only use the small system to run lights and my laptop so the battery stays topped up most of the time. Upside is it was cheap.

I also have a much larger system where I DIY'd 16 LiFePO4 batteries. If you don't want to DIY a battery, Lion sells LiFePO4 batteries through Costco for a decent price - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lion-energy-ut1300-at-costco-again.8263/

Not sure what would be considered in between the two in terms of cost. $289 vs. $750 or so for the LiFePO4.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get the Lion.
Not only is an AGM battery twice as heavy as a LiFePO4, you only can use 50%.
I wish the Lion is sold through Walmart or Sam's Club.
I am not a Costco member. :(

Back