diy solar

diy solar

Will's DIY Solar Blueprint 400 watt Solar Package w/ alt charging circuit breaker question

Liamof

I am following Will's DIY Solar Package using the Renogy DC-DC charger with MPPT.
Will shows using a 80 amp circuit breaker between alternator and charger and 70 amp between house battery and charger.
For the 50 amp charger Renogy requires a 75 watt circuit breaker between the alternator and charger and a 65 watt circuit breaker between the charger and the house battery. Will's circuit breaker is slightly higher than Renogy minimum requirement so I need some advice.
Just want to make sure I am ok using Will's diagram, don't want to fry my charger.
Otherwise the diagram is very easy to follow and a big help.
My system is a 180 solar panel, 100 ah lithium battery with no inverter, powering a refrigerator and lights, so its a lot smaller.
Thanks,
Liam

The fuses and breakers are there to protect the wires, not the devices. As long as the fuse/breaker sizes you choose are appropriate for the wires you will be using then being 5A higher won't make any difference.

The fuses and breakers are there to protect the wires, not the devices. As long as the fuse/breaker sizes you choose are appropriate for the wires you will be using then being 5A higher won't make any difference.
Im using 4 gauge wire so it seems I can go with Will's recommendation of using 80amp and 70amp circuit breaker.
Thanks for your help.
Liam

Back