diy solar

diy solar

Wills recommendations is there a dedicated thread I’m missing?

OneStudPuppy

Thanks to will I am currently converting a fiberglass camp trailer (egg) from a AGM, to a better capacity system.
As of now I have a 100ah Ampere time battery, Renogy 10 amp controller, 100 watt renogy solar panel. Power use will be minimal house lights, Cpap. That’s about all keeping it minimal.
But with tech changing and so many videos just trying to see what Monitor / Shunt budget friendly and can give me best tracking of in and out capacity wise and make sure I don’t end up in middle of the night with cpap shut off due to low battery.

Right out the gate it sounds like your system is under powered for your loads as a 100w panel can at best only produce ~500Wh a day, or less than half your battery capacity.

As for meters, the popular bang-for-the-buck that's so well loved around here is some flavor of the Aili Battery Meter Shunt for about $50.

Right out the gate it sounds like your system is under powered for your loads as a 100w panel can at best only produce ~500Wh a day, or less than half your battery capacity.

As for meters, the popular bang-for-the-buck that's so well loved around here is some flavor of the Aili Battery Meter Shunt for about $50.
I’ll check out the meter thanks. Hopefully not but I’m trying to keep it minimal. Free standing with the panel but also limited space it’s a 13 foot trailer main body space 10 foot. Cpap is 12v 80 watts max draw rating. But without using the heated humidifier etc I’m hoping for average 50 watts or so. Then again it’s now been recalled. Always option of adding another panel and swap out charge controller if not quite working. Will do a few days of test runs.

5.3 amps at peak sun. I am debating options hah. 200 watt suitcase set up and different controller. Not sure yet. But as of now took everything I lined up and am up and generating and storing power. I’ll let it go a few days charging. More I think about the whole set up a meter is a must not a option. As I want to run a average night in trailer with cpap and see how much juice it really goes through in a night. Think your initial reply is looking possibly dead on.

Up and running.

Attachments

• A332F79F-04B6-4C2A-B84D-B217FD4F54F8.jpeg
    A332F79F-04B6-4C2A-B84D-B217FD4F54F8.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 6
Your camper sounds like a 13' Scamp. I have a simliar setup as you, although with a 120Ah DIY battery. When I need to supplement my rooftop solar I always have on hand a portable panel which doubles my capacity. This could very well work for you as well.

Your camper sounds like a 13' Scamp. I have a simliar setup as you, although with a 120Ah DIY battery. When I need to supplement my rooftop solar I always have on hand a portable panel which doubles my capacity. This could very well work for you as well.
I like this idea, I may look into this. And yea it’s similar, missed out on a bargain scamp. So ended up with a 1972 Trail mite. Double walls kinda has a weather advantage. Less options. No heater, more very basic but less power needed as well. Even just a ice box not fridge.
Your idea seems about what I may go with. As of now seems I’m topping off at about 13.4 volts 5 amps charge rate. I may switch out this controller for the next step up not sure if the wanderer would take maybe another 75 watt panel. It also has a strange issue which I sent the video to renogy and from their reply it’s not acting quite right. A .3 amp load with two led lights hooked to load side and turned on does a very weird low voltage random flashes then goes full brightness

You might consider having a solar charge controller on the auxilliary panel, and run straight to the battery. That's what I have. The battery can handle both sources, as its BMS will manage the battery state.

I may switch out this controller for the next step up not sure if the wanderer would take maybe another 75 watt panel
You really want to avoid mixing & matching panels as much as possible. If you're going to add another panel you're going to want to find a 100w with voltages and amperages as close as possible or the new 75w panel will nerf the old 100w panel to the lowest common denominators both ways.

You really want to avoid mixing & matching panels as much as possible. If you're going to add another panel you're going to want to find a 100w with voltages and amperages as close as possible or the new 75w panel will nerf the old 100w panel to the lowest common denominators both ways.
I as of now am about to rip out their controller, it’s beyond messed up. Still trying to charge the battery after 2 1/2 days figured I’d check it should have been at float mode, nope it was still trying to charge the battery fully. (Battery 13.99 volts) but then turned on power side, powers on for a second or two and shuts down. I guess I’m going to have to research 20 or so amp controllers budget friendly but not totally junk. This is set to lithium and 12 volts.. it’s toast.

Yup, sounds like it's pretty toasted. Both Rich Solar and EPEver have good controllers for NOT stupid money. Not a lot of fancy features but they turn Solar DC into Battery DC just fine.
I’ll have to check them out. I’d rather not have a brand new battery get toasted or fire in a mini fiberglass trailer from a sub par controller.
Two strikes and I’m out lol

I’m still debating seems this panel model is older but I’m thinking yea winter and short days, my debate now go two 100 watt panels or a 200 watt single. I’ve heard it’s best to match panel models?

Back