diy solar

diy solar

wind and solar mppt controllers

notarichman

i want to buy a more powerful wind turbine -- 3000w sounds great to me!
usually it seems the output goes through a bridge rectifier and then to a PWM charge controller, then to the battery.
if you have a 2000w solar system as well; then a mppt controller would be desired for LiFePo. so what controller can you use
to encompass both inputs? i found a light duty controller that would handle about 1500w solar and 1500w wind only...and then
in specs. it reduced it to 1000w each for 12v and 24v instead of 48v. totally unsuitable.

usually it seems the output goes through a bridge rectifier and then to a PWM charge controller, then to the battery.
if you have a 2000w solar system as well; then a mppt controller would be desired for LiFePo. so what controller can you use
to encompass both inputs? i found a light duty controller that would handle about 1500w solar and 1500w wind only...and then
in specs. it reduced it to 1000w each for 12v and 24v instead of 48v. totally unsuitable.

What is your existing system, and what are you proposing as a replacement?

4 each 315w solar panels at about 36voc. midnight kid mppt 150voc 30amps out max. samlex 1500w inverter and i just bought a used 7.6kw inverter that i haven't installed. batteries are used hospital cart lfp 40ah 8 each in serial/parallel for 48v at 80ah. none of this is actually wired up yet. i've checked 2 solar panels and they work. the batteries have volts and i've charged them individually. i've got copper braided terminal lugs
on order. i managed to fix a small generator, 1700w --- 2100w surge, that i could run for power and charging the batteries. but those cheap gensets usually only run for a few hours before they fail. this one ran for two days and failed. i had a 9kw genset that quit on me after 20 hours.

the idea is to setup a small system to see what it will do; buy the expensive panels, mppt, and batteries as i can afford them. then i can use the small system on my cargo trailer for power camping.

until i finish building my solar system as i want it, i won't be building a wind system. however, i need to find a mppt that can work with both and
lots of pv volts/watts as well as wind watts.

Given that you appear to be a beginner, you should probably refer to this resource and check the accompanying links.

Last edited:
Sorry, my question was in the context of your post - "I want to buy a more powerful wind turbine"

This implies that you already have one. I don't see that you listed one.
i don't have a wind turbine at the moment. i've been looking at them and don't like any of them i've seen. the only strong turbines seem to
have the vanes and i want a vertical axis with a minimum of 2kw; 3kw preferred. i'm not ready to buy now anyway, but need to figure out which mppt to buy that will work for both instead of having to buy two, one solar and one wind.

i don't have a wind turbine at the moment. i've been looking at them and don't like any of them i've seen. the only strong turbines seem to
have the vanes and i want a vertical axis with a minimum of 2kw; 3kw preferred. i'm not ready to buy now anyway, but need to figure out which mppt to buy that will work for both instead of having to buy two, one solar and one wind.

Please read the wind resources. Your expectations have not been tempered by understanding or reality.

It's real simple. All of the money and time you invest in small wind, especially VAWT's, will be wasted. Trust the advice of those with experience as they don't offer it lightly.

I decided to temporarily forget buying/installing a wind generator. i think there is enough wind here to help, but want to concentrate on
getting my solar setup running correctly first.

hi "i found a light duty controller that would handle about 1500w solar and 1500w wind only" what brand is that? (looking).

Back