diy solar

diy solar

Wind Generator 48v, 3000w , some questions !

ismailhsn

I liked the wind turbine, I saw an advertisement for it on one of the sites, and I bought it just for its shape :)

It was purchased with the same specifications as in the title, but my question is

What are the appropriate devices and transformers with it, knowing that I want to develop my system to solar energy later, according to the budget ;)

Thank you for any help

Wind turbines need a good quality MPPT controller (different than PV controller). There are several ways used to control maximum turbine rpm to prevent self destruction. Cheap systems just use electrical load, which require a load dump. I would prefer double redundant control like mechanical braking and electrical load dump control.

Wind turbines can put out very high voltage if not controlled properly. Controller should have a lot of design margin.

If things go wrong it can create a lot of expensive damage, particularly if using LFP batteries.

Two destructive things that must be prevented. 1) overcharging batteries, and 2) over speeding mechanical 'rapid dissassembly' of turbine.

Just about every location is subject to a windy rain storm from time to time that rips some tree branches down. Turbine must be able to take this.

Last edited:
A large majority of win turbines output three phase A/C so need an intermediate controller or rectifying unit to convert to DC prior to going to a charge controller.

Wind turbines need a good quality MPPT controller (different than PV controller). There are several ways used to control maximum turbine rpm to prevent self destruction. Cheap systems just use electrical load, which require a load dump. I would prefer double redundant control like mechanical braking and electrical load dump control.

Wind turbines can put out very high voltage if not controlled properly. Controller should have a lot of design margin.

If things go wrong it can create a lot of expensive damage, particularly if using LFP batteries.

Two destructive things that must be prevented. 1) overcharging batteries, and 2) over speeding mechanical 'rapid dissassembly' of turbine.

Just about every location is subject to a windy rain storm from time to time that rips some tree branches down. Turbine must be able to take this.
Thank you for your wonderful presentation and useful advice, but for the area in which I live is desert and little rain, there is no fear of storms or strong winds.
As for the MPT device, is there one that supports both (I mean solar cells and wind energy)
And you would be kind if you could put a link to the device if possible.

A large majority of win turbines output three phase A/C so need an intermediate controller or rectifying unit to convert to DC prior to going to a charge controller.
Indeed, a voltage stabilizer has been shipped with the generator by wind but unfortunately without any instruction booklet

thanks

For a 48v turbine the bridge rectifier should be rated for 1000 PIV breakdown voltage. Unloaded at high speed, a 48v PMA turbine can hit 600 vdc open circuit voltage output. A wind turbine MPPT controller should include a load dump system to keep rpm under control. If there is a failure in the electrical load dump system the turbine can over rpm until blades break off or support collapses.

The bridge rectifier needs good heat sinking as it can have 50 to 60 watts of heat to dissipate at full current output.

Some cheap controllers just short out the output of turbine to control overspeeding. This helps slow turbine down but not as good as a power load dump. A controlled load dump can also provide battery charging and useful load supply while controlling maximum turbine rpm.

You need at least 20 mph wind speed for wind turbine to be practical. Idea wind speed is between 20-40 mph. Above 50 mph you have to be careful to control the max rpm rate.

Shorted current / Open circuit voltage chart for a '48v' PMA of 500 watt size. The voltage vs load for a PMA is not linear.

CurveSC48.jpg

Last edited:
I have been testing a 400w wind turbine for about a year now. It wasn't my intention to keep it up this long. Needed to test my pole prototypes. (first one failed) anyway..... yes you will be disappointed in performance. you will never get the full rated power, you might get 1/3 of what it says. Now that being said wind turbines are a great trickle charger. My advice is try not to dump much money into it. My turbine in winter is always running and in summer its 50/50 if its running. Add some solar to so that the turbine can aid the solar at night. If your pole mount is going to cost more than 200$ forget about it... you will not get a return on investment.

For a 48v turbine the bridge rectifier should be rated for 1000 PIV breakdown voltage. Unloaded at high speed, a 48v PMA turbine can hit 600 vdc open circuit voltage output. A wind turbine MPPT controller should include a load dump system to keep rpm under control. If there is a failure in the electrical load dump system the turbine can over rpm until blades break off or support collapses.

The bridge rectifier needs good heat sinking as it can have 50 to 60 watts of heat to dissipate at full current output.

Some cheap controllers just short out the output of turbine to control overspeeding. This helps slow turbine down but not as good as a power load dump. A controlled load dump can also provide battery charging and useful load supply while controlling maximum turbine rpm.

You need at least 20 mph wind speed for wind turbine to be practical. Idea wind speed is between 20-40 mph. Above 50 mph you have to be careful to control the max rpm rate.

Shorted current / Open circuit voltage chart for a '48v' PMA of 500 watt size. The voltage vs load for a PMA is not linear.

CurveSC48.jpg
Thank you for your scientific proposal
I have a question, is there a device that measures wind speed?
thanks

Just be prepaired to be extreamly underwhelmed by its performance.
Most home gamer turbines require 10mph to get spinning and 10mph is VERY windy by most peoples standards. Not to mention the 50' tower etc
Looks like I'm giving up on working with wind I got a little frustrated I took it to try

I have been testing a 400w wind turbine for about a year now. It wasn't my intention to keep it up this long. Needed to test my pole prototypes. (first one failed) anyway..... yes you will be disappointed in performance. you will never get the full rated power, you might get 1/3 of what it says. Now that being said wind turbines are a great trickle charger. My advice is try not to dump much money into it. My turbine in winter is always running and in summer its 50/50 if its running. Add some solar to so that the turbine can aid the solar at night. If your pole mount is going to cost more than 200$ forget about it... you will not get a return on investment.
Indeed your words are true, I took the last updated picture of the day, no wind, complete calm and complete silencewind.jpg

Back