diy solar

diy solar

Wind generator and controller?

Problem solved. After connecting the generator with longer wires and monitoring the results, with a voltmeter, there is simply not enough wind for wind generation to work. True the generator begins to turn at approximately 6 mph but is only starting to generate from 0 voltage. As the wind picks up the voltage climbs in millivolts, then partial volts in decimal point percentages and keeps rising or falling as the wind increases or recedes. From 0 to1 to 2 etc and all the percentages thereof in between. Without the benefit of an anomometer I would estimate that a 10 mile per hour wind will produce less than 2 volts. Since it takes a voltage greater than the battery voltage, usually never less than 12.8 it would take a hurricane for a wind generator to produce the voltage necessary to charge a battery. (Perhaps a slight exaggeration) but certainly far more wind than is common for my location. Although I am in what is considered a fairly windy location, it’s simply not nearly enough to make a wind generator feasible. Nothing wrong with the controller or the wiring as some have suggested, simply not enough wind for the way wind generation works. Experiment results? Success, now I know and understand how wind generation works and what are the drawbacks. The generator itself is now an effective wind sock. It wasn’t a huge investment. Some welding to build the tower but I think the learning curve was worth the effort.
Thanks to everyone for the input, I’m sure your advice was well intended.

Rathen than measuring voltage, if you have a bit of wind, try measuring current.
On any of the three phase wires.

Back