diy solar

diy solar

Wind generator with solar panels?

Also in south Texas where hurricane Ike knocked-out power for 1.5 weeks, and with hurricane Harvey we never saw sun for a week. But we are guaranteed to have wind :cool:

I am also toying with the idea of a small 48V 100W-500W wind generator that is temporarily mounted to my golf cart where the FLA batteries provide plenty of ballast. With the output less than the house requirements a dump load should not be required, or I just drive the cart away from the wind.

Last edited:
I am also toying with the idea of a small [wind] 48V 100W-500W generator that is temporarily mounted to my golf cart where the FLA batteries provide plenty of ballast. With the output less than the house requirements a dump load should not be required, or I just drive the cart away from the wind.

I think either your wind turbine will be far too low (experiencing excessive turbulence and lower wind speed), or if raise to a suitable height on a tower it will tip over the golf cart.

I would think the golf cart with Pb ballast would make a good base, but needs outriggers (for a low tower) or guy wires (for a tall tower.)
Maybe 4 golf carts could serve as a self-deploying tower tilt-up and anchor system.

A small turbine with short tower, similar to what you see on sail boats, might be fine. A realistically spec'd 500W turbine probably isn't a good fit.

Back