Wind Power Diversion Controller with LIFEPO4

itsmattmp

Solar Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting a 1600 watt 48v Missouri Wind and Solar turbine to charge my 48v LIFEPO4 battery. My research has led me to use a Morningstar Tristar TS-60 to control an 1800 watt diversion load. The wind rotor would connect directly through the battery through a manual brake switch and 50 amp rectifier. The 50 amp rectifier converts to DC, but does not affect voltage. My question is whether this is safe for my batteries, or if the wind power needs to go through a charge controller. If the wind turbine puts out a constant voltage around 58 volts I think that should be fine since the diversion load will keep the battery from being overcharged.

But I've heard from some people that wind turbines can put out much higher voltages than they're rated for. In that case I would like to have a controller to keep things constant; however, if I put the controller before the battery and the controller shuts off the charge, then the wind rotor will go into free spin. So is it possible to set a PWM or MPPT charge controller to never shut off the charge?

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
It's a lot of hoops, but what if...

Windmill --(dirty AC)--> Rectified to DC --(dirty DC) --> DC/DC regulator --(clean steady DC) --> Charge controller.

From what I understand about Morningstar, that is exactly what Morningstar does. Take dirty AC and outputs steady DC to charge a battery. Dirty AC is just AC that doesn't have a constant frequency, like pretty much every wind turbine there is residential grade. As long as the Morningstar can be set with bulk and float charging in a user-defined battery, you can certainly use it on any battery chemistry.

I live in what many consider a very windy area, essentially 4 hours straight west of where Missouri Wind and Solar are headquartered. I thought very seriously about getting a turning also. But before I did any of that, I got a weather station just so I could know for certain if the wind was adequate at my location. It only took 2 months to realize that my location is not even kind of good for a turbine, but it is actually outright terrible for it. If you know you have the wind speed and consistency, it is easy to get and keep going. Now on the other hand, the last 18 months and 4 years have seen a drastic decrease in solar and battery prices. If you have space solar is the least expensive power-producing method on the planet now.

itsmattmp

Solar Enthusiast
Agreed that solar is cheaper, but it would be nice to get some charging overnight or on overcast days. Looking at this for a supplement to solar. Does morningstar make a unit that has wind inputs? The video I watched from them on the TS-60 said not to connect the wind power to the controller, but direct to the battery. The controller just manages the dump load. Do they have a different controller that can receive a windmill input?

Boondock Saint

Solar Addict
Morningstar Tristar TS-60 is the bomb, superior build quality. I'm looking to do the same wind turbine thing on my RV just smaller.

I'm on the lookout for a couple of them at lower prices myself.

Last edited:

mike95490

Solar Enthusiast
I don't think the tri-star has a AC-DC rectifier in it. Turbines generally are multi-phase, so you may need to match a rectifier pack to your turbine configuration.

itsmattmp

Solar Enthusiast
I heard back from Missouri Wind and Solar. The 48v turbines can reach as high at 250v, so having a charge controller in-between is essential. Unfortunately the only solution they offer for LIFEPO4 costs about $2k, nearly 4 times the cost of the turbine. Still researching to find something that can control that voltage on a budget while also running the dump load.

pollenface

Solar Addict
I use a voltage controlled brake which stalls the turbine at 28.7v and recovers at 27v

I'm using the load output of an epever tracer mppt which gives signal to 2 other automotive relays which shorts the 3 phases together without the need for a dump load (just putting it out there).

There's this guy who runs a 48v turbine through a rectifer and then into a victron mppt, interesting idea.

Last edited:

chrisski

Photon Sorcerer
I use a voltage controlled brake which stalls the turbine at 28.7v and recovers at 27v

I'm using the load output of an epever tracer mppt which gives signal to 2 other automotive relays which shorts the 3 phases together without the need for a dump load.
Would be awesome if you did a Wind Thread for Show and Tell and left in your Signature block. Not many share successful stories of wind builds.