Wind Power Generation

papinida

Thanks. I tried the gear aspect a while back but needed way too much torque to get anything moving. Thought about a stepper motor but need the current to get the Watts. I will look at the other thing but at first glance the generators are a little big still. Do you know of anyone that makes custom ones? I came at this backward unfortunately and thought I had generators. So now I need to make them fit.

Hedges

Photon Sorcerer
Any permanent magnet generator is likely to require significant torque to start turning. Of course, enough wind to produce power ought to overcome that.

Alternators ("Dynamo") use a DC field from rotor, with brushes and slip rings to power it. Those take little torque to start turning and can deliver higher current at lower RPM (and can be regulated) but will consume some power. Maybe a vane pushed by the wind, e.g. the tail vane, could close a microswitch to power the field coil.

If you want something custom, you can probably afford a ready-made wind generator.

To be cheap, shop on eBay for other motors, see what fits your needs.
Or if suitable junk yards are in your area, take a cordless drill, ammeter, maybe resistive loads or lightbulbs.

papinida

Thanks. I will look at all those options to see what I can find. I originally used an Ampflow motor but found that i didn’t get anything out of that. The last search brought me to the windstream just seems that I was off on RPM needed.

You are correct I could buy an existing generator but trying to new thing which is why I would be willing to work with someone for a custom generator.

Hedges

Photon Sorcerer
I figure custom manufactured is for R&D, planning to have manufactured in some volume.
Automotive starters, alternators, generators are rewound, as are other motors. If you select a "core", an existing unit you like, such a shop could rewind with different gauge and number of turns. You might be able to do the same yourself, probably not as neatly. I think I saw a you-tube video of a shop doing the process. There are various insulating strips tucked in to the rotor/stator in places. Windings are potted with varnish, which would have to be dissolved to disassemble.

papinida

Thank you. I will see if I can find an alternative generator and maybe an R&D house to build a prototype. I am hoping to build more than one of these along the way.