diy solar

diy solar

Wind Power Generation

Thanks. I tried the gear aspect a while back but needed way too much torque to get anything moving. Thought about a stepper motor but need the current to get the Watts. I will look at the other thing but at first glance the generators are a little big still. Do you know of anyone that makes custom ones? I came at this backward unfortunately and thought I had generators. So now I need to make them fit.

Any permanent magnet generator is likely to require significant torque to start turning. Of course, enough wind to produce power ought to overcome that.

Alternators ("Dynamo") use a DC field from rotor, with brushes and slip rings to power it. Those take little torque to start turning and can deliver higher current at lower RPM (and can be regulated) but will consume some power. Maybe a vane pushed by the wind, e.g. the tail vane, could close a microswitch to power the field coil.

If you want something custom, you can probably afford a ready-made wind generator.

To be cheap, shop on eBay for other motors, see what fits your needs.
Or if suitable junk yards are in your area, take a cordless drill, ammeter, maybe resistive loads or lightbulbs.

Thanks. I will look at all those options to see what I can find. I originally used an Ampflow motor but found that i didn’t get anything out of that. The last search brought me to the windstream just seems that I was off on RPM needed.

You are correct I could buy an existing generator but trying to new thing which is why I would be willing to work with someone for a custom generator.

I figure custom manufactured is for R&D, planning to have manufactured in some volume.
Automotive starters, alternators, generators are rewound, as are other motors. If you select a "core", an existing unit you like, such a shop could rewind with different gauge and number of turns. You might be able to do the same yourself, probably not as neatly. I think I saw a you-tube video of a shop doing the process. There are various insulating strips tucked in to the rotor/stator in places. Windings are potted with varnish, which would have to be dissolved to disassemble.

Thank you. I will see if I can find an alternative generator and maybe an R&D house to build a prototype. I am hoping to build more than one of these along the way.

So have been going back and forth looking for something and I think I will need to do a redesign some of the systems if I am going to produce any energy at a reasonable wind speed. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a small generator that is in the 2.5" to 3.5" diameter, that can produce say 40W at the 90rpms? I see a lot of the small wind generators seem to be in that 3" to 4" but it is really tuff to tell and most of the generators look custom-built. So I am not sure where they are getting them.

So have been going back and forth looking for something and I think I will need to do a redesign some of the systems if I am going to produce any energy at a reasonable wind speed. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a small generator that is in the 2.5" to 3.5" diameter, that can produce say 40W at the 90rpms? I see a lot of the small wind generators seem to be in that 3" to 4" but it is really tuff to tell and most of the generators look custom-built. So I am not sure where they are getting them.

Those are all just examples. You'll need to match up the CC & the clipper to the turbine you pick.

Top of the line is about $3000. I had a 12v turbine & all the stuff to run it. Loved it. Cant wait to replace it with a 48v. If you buy it this way, you can spend your time writing custom cures. If you really want a custom turbine, go with a Ariel Flux.

Guda, thanks for the information on the CC, but I was looking for Generators/Motors in the that 3" to 4" Diameter range that would be turned by the blades at 90RPM and produce 40Watts. Again I see a lot of the small wind generators seem to be in that 3" to 4" but it is really tuff to tell and most of the generators look custom-built. So I am not sure where they are getting them.

Guda, thanks for the information on the CC, but I was looking for Generators/Motors in the that 3" to 4" Diameter range that would be turned by the blades at 90RPM and produce 40Watts. Again I see a lot of the small wind generators seem to be in that 3" to 4" but it is really tuff to tell and most of the generators look custom-built. So I am not sure where they are getting them.
I looked but I could not find it. There is a wind forum that you'll be able to find more advanced solutions. I think I got directed there from the Midnite SCC forum.

Back