diy solar

diy solar

Wind Turbine question -

ricksellers

I know this is technically a turbine question however it does contain solar so... lol

I acquired a 3kw turbine for free basically although its a 48v and my array is 12v Renogy How can I utilize the turbine without issue? Or can I at all ?

My solar array is 1kw split into 2(500watt) smaller arrays with 2- 40 amp MPPT controllers into a single bank.

The turbine is 3kw with 3 phase AC - however its old from 2010 and the wind controller has analog guages and dump load are older technology.

Thanks

Last edited:
Okay. That's a beasty. The typical micro-turbine is about 7' dia, and they will only produce ~80W in 10-12mph winds.

A 10.5' dia turbine will produce about 2X that.

Average wind speed at 30m shown here:

KY is consistently under 10mph (4.5meters per second). That's what you'll get if you mount it on a 30m tower. If you mount it on a shorter tower, you will have less wind.

So, if you mount it on a 30m tower, on an ANNUAL basis, you'll get 160W or 3.8kWh/day.

You will likely need a new wind controller capable of stepping down the rectified three phase AC down to 12V levels.

Having a 12V battery, and nearly 80A potential of solar, I suspect that your battery capacity is too small to safely absorb what the turbine could put out at high power.

I have a 34ft pole technically. My battery bank is 2(100watt Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries)

The pole is 34 ft 3 inch diameter schedule 40 I think - very heavy but when we took it down has to cut it into 2- 17ft sections.

I am not sure how much it will produce under what wind as I have no documentation. I can turn it with my hand and get 12v ac on my meter(not an accurate test however)

I doubt this is worth the effort to install it as your says its a beast and my zone. The turbine itself is about 150lbs and 5 ft long alone..

I have a 34ft pole technically. My battery bank is 2(100watt Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries)

The pole is 34 ft 3 inch diameter schedule 40 I think - very heavy but when we took it down has to cut it into 2- 17ft sections.

I am not sure how much it will produce under what wind as I have no documentation. I can turn it with my hand and get 12v ac on my meter(not an accurate test however)

I doubt this is worth the effort to install it as your says its a beast and my zone. The turbine itself is about 150lbs and 5 ft long alone..

That's how I'm leaning unless you're willing to notably upgrade your system to handle it.

I was mainly looking at something to produce a bit of power overnight - I will probably sell it or trade to something that I 'can' use . lol

Thanks

I was mainly looking at something to produce a bit of power overnight - I will probably sell it or trade to something that I 'can' use . lol

Thanks
There is nothing you "can use" with your existing system in terms of wind that will result in a "little bit of power overnight".

you'll have to spend money on anything wind related to get it to work with your system. That money would be better spent expanding your current solar system to be more capable.

Back