diy solar

diy solar

Wind turbine use on LiFePo batteries?

jtzako

I have an old 48v wind turbine power generator that was in use on my system when it was on flooded lead acid batteries. Since I upgraded to LiFePo4 batteries I havent reconnected it.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to use it on the new batteries. My understanding is that it has its own charge controller built in and auto-brakes (stops generating) when the battery voltage reads 55V. That is a little above the float value for my batteries but below max charge.

I also wonder if my battery monitor sensor wires could be used to track its power generation. I dont have a separate shunt for it but it was connected to an analog Amp meter. Might the two terminals on that work for the two sensor wires on the battery monitor (Flexnet DC) or does it need to be a regular shunt?

I have an old 48v wind turbine power generator that was in use on my system when it was on flooded lead acid batteries. Since I upgraded to LiFePo4 batteries I havent reconnected it.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to use it on the new batteries. My understanding is that it has its own charge controller built in and auto-brakes (stops generating) when the battery voltage reads 55V. That is a little above the float value for my batteries but below max charge.

55V & 16S is 3.4375V/cell. If it's regularly cycled, and your wind is inconsistent, so you know it's not always going to be pushed and held that high, I think it's worth a try.

I also wonder if my battery monitor sensor wires could be used to track its power generation. I dont have a separate shunt for it but it was connected to an analog Amp meter. Might the two terminals on that work for the two sensor wires on the battery monitor (Flexnet DC) or does it need to be a regular shunt?

I'm not sure I follow you. If you have a shunt in the system, it should be connected to side opposite the battery such that any current from the turbine passes through the shunt. It would just translate into a "net" current, but if you are tracking your loads, you should be able to determine what you're getting from the turbine.

55V & 16S is 3.4375V/cell. If it's regularly cycled, and your wind is inconsistent, so you know it's not always going to be pushed and held that high, I think it's worth a try.

I'm not sure I follow you. If you have a shunt in the system, it should be connected to side opposite the battery such that any current from the turbine passes through the shunt. It would just translate into a "net" current, but if you are tracking your loads, you should be able to determine what you're getting from the turbine.
The FNDC battery monitor has a main wire that connects to +/- battery plus 4 sensor wire pairs. I have one of the sensors monitoring the main shunt so it would pick up the charge from the turbine as well, but that would be mixed in with anything coming in from solar/generator as well. I was wondering if I could use the spare sensor pair that I have for monitoring just the turbine.

Actually, an analog ammeter is the best thing you can use for a wind generator.
For me, it's an absolute must :·)
With it, you can see the power going into the battery, very gratifying on strong gusts.

Actually, an analog ammeter is the best thing you can use for a wind generator.
For me, it's an absolute must :·)
With it, you can see the power going into the battery, very gratifying on strong gusts.
I cant usually see the needle move unless the gusts go well above 20mph. I also want to be able to track how much it is actually producing over the course of a day. Right now I have no way to do that short subtracting the solar/generator values from the total. Thats why I'm hoping to be able to use the FNDC sensor since it can do that.

I will comment that the cheaper wind charge controllers seem good for a FLA battery, but not for the slightly lower Lithium Batteries.

Somethign like this 400 watt 24 volt windmill would be perfect for me, but the charge controller charges at 29 volts, more than the 27.6 volts (3.43 per cell) I am charging at. The controller is not configurable and would be stuck at 29 volts.

If you know of a cheap answer, I’d be interested, but sounds like you’re having the same problem I am.

I found this site and is the most active I’ve seen about wind turbines:

Fieldlines.com

Back