diy solar

diy solar

Wind Turbines problem

elmanoduarte

Hi,

i have recently installed 2 small 400w wind generators from China.
They are connected with MPPT controllers, to my 10 batteries AGM 24v bank., with the controllers from the solar panels to.
Using a small inverter I have a 1.500w/3000w peak 24v, everything works great!!
But I have another inverter, a 4.000w/8.000 peak 24v, with it works very well with the solar panels for a long time, but when I turn on the Wind generators, it shuts of the cut differential in the home ELECTRIC board.
Tried to disconnect the EARTH wire from the inverter, but still disarm the differential immediately.
Like I said with just the solar panels what do about 120 Amp,,,and the 10 AGM batteries bank, everything is great., and with the small inverter to! just with the big inverter do this when I turn on the wind turbines.
Its not the first time I use Wind turbines with this inverter. Some time ago i used a 1.500w 24v wind turbine ISTABREZE, and it worked fine with it in that time.
But it was a Turbine to big for the place a have all this. And was a need to change for smaller and quiet wind turbines.
Just cant understand why with this 3 fases generators, like the other, disarm the differential or circuit breaker in the electric home board! its an OFF grid installation.

Can anyone help with this ??
Happy new Years, and best regards,
Duarte

I'm assuming that the term 'cut differential' or 'disarm the differential', is referring to the protector device (switch/breaker) on 3-phase circuits, to kill the whole circuit if you lose one of the 3 legs?

Or is this something else?

Do you have a 3-channel oscilloscope you could check the quality and integrity of the 3-phase?

I'm also operating off the assumption that you are running end-to-end 3-phase?

Or am I all confused about your setup?

Or are they just 3-phase generators, being rectified to DC and feeding a standard charge controller to battery bank, and inverters are really single-phase, and your AC panel is all single-phase?

(just trying to decipher what you are describing so I am understanding properly)...

I recommend going to Fieldlines.com. That is the most active wind forum I have found.

Other than that, I can’t help. I started looking into wind last year and gave up. Just not windy enough.

I'm assuming that the term 'cut differential' or 'disarm the differential', is referring to the protector device (switch/breaker) on 3-phase circuits, to kill the whole circuit if you lose one of the 3 legs?

Or is this something else?

Do you have a 3-channel oscilloscope you could check the quality and integrity of the 3-phase?

I'm also operating off the assumption that you are running end-to-end 3-phase?

Or am I all confused about your setup?

Or are they just 3-phase generators, being rectified to DC and feeding a standard charge controller to battery bank, and inverters are really single-phase, and your AC panel is all single-phase?

(just trying to decipher what you are describing so I am understanding properly)...
Hi, thanks for answer.
Yes,,,they are just 3-phase generators, being rectified to DC and feeding a standard charge controller to battery bank, and inverters are really single-phase, to AC panel is all single-phase.

Yes its that. And what disarm its not the circuit breaker from the 3 wires wind generator.

Its its at the house electric panel disarm the protection it receives the AC 230v from the inverter, like when are some earth leack. We call here diferencial, idêntical to a curcuit breaker. Its 1 fase AC at all house.

Just when I turn on the circuit breaker of the 3 wires to the wind generator, . At home desarm the differential instantly. Just in that switch, when swith the DC from the wind controller to batteries nothing happens, but when connect the generator in the 3 poles circuit breaker,,, the other the diferencial shuts down. But .. it hapoen this with the 4.000w inveter, with the 1.500w inverter it works all ok , strange..

Hi, thanks for answer.
Yes,,,they are just 3-phase generators, being rectified to DC and feeding a standard charge controller to battery bank, and inverters are really single-phase, to AC panel is all single-phase.

Yes its that. And what disarm its not the circuit breaker from the 3 wires wind generator.

Its its at the house electric panel disarm the protection it receives the AC 230v from the inverter, like when are some earth leack. We call here diferencial, idêntical to a curcuit breaker. Its 1 fase AC at all house.

Just when I turn on the circuit breaker of the 3 wires to the wind generator, . At home desarm the differential instantly. Just in that switch, when swith the DC from the wind controller to batteries nothing happens, but when connect the generator in the 3 poles circuit breaker,,, the other the diferencial shuts down. But .. it hapoen this with the 4.000w inveter, with the 1.500w inverter it works all ok , strange..

Attachments

• 20220105_230616.jpg
    20220105_230616.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
Here is the differential its shuts off at home

Attachments

• 20220105_225658.jpg
    20220105_225658.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 7
I guess I'm interpreting that the differential is some kind of protection to break if it detects some kind of ground fault or ground current flowing or something?

I don't see how the differential located on the AC output circuit, has anything at all to do with the wind generator circuit, since the only common tie between the charge controller and the inverter-side is the battery bank DC bus.

If the differential is basically just looking for proper grounding, I would start by checking all the grounds to make sure everything is wired according to code / best practices, and check for any actual ground faults...

Make sure all the polarities are correct on DC circuits (meaning like negatives and chassis grounds are all lining up, like we're not accidentally doing positive ground and floating negative or some weird thing like that)...

Hi many thanks for ypur post :) yes its protection to break if it detects some kind of ground fault or ground current flowing. In fact I dont know why is doing this!
Everything is connect rite. And dont forget with the 1500/3000w inverter it works normaly and very good.
Now with this 4000/8000w inverter thats the problem and the connections ate same like!
You my se I have a switch at home to select out grid paid energy or to my off grid inverter energy. Have another switch same like to switch inverter 1500 or the 4000. So its all ok and the same.
Before this bigger inverter It was another 3000/6000w same trade Mark like the inverter 1500w and worked very good. Changed for this 4000w for need, and do this,, dont know why,, tried seperated ground for the inverter, same ground, with home with note with grond the turbines with not,,, same all the time!
Open inverter and fisical desable rhe ground internaly???? ??? getting craisy with this.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not sure upon face value analysis how this could tie into the picture (or not), but I wonder if that 4000/8000w inverter has neutral and ground bonded (vs floating) or something, and if there is a way to separate them by removing a jumper or something on the internal board.

I wish I had a better understanding of exactly what the differential unit is checking for and under what conditions it is designed to detect and trip itself.

With that info, we might be able to make some manual checks with a voltmeter and amp clamp probe to see what in its inputs/outputs is causing it to hit trigger on the sensing, helping to root-cause the issue.

Perhaps the differential device has a install manual or something we could read about it specs more closely? Half the battle is just understanding how the thing is supposed to operate, and then 'strange phenomenons' should become easier to comprehend regarding the whys.

Last edited:
It was this
€ 118,98 30%OFF | Pure Sine Wave Inverter 50Hz 60Hz 4000W 5000W 8000W DC 12V 24V To AC 220V inverter Power Converte Micror Car Voltage transforme

I was actually wondering more about the specs for the differential, to be able to understand better about what it detects and what its thresholds are to make it trip.

Got it :) its the diferencial, its not working. In fact now I saw theyr not same looks like but are diferent. It must have more than 4500A. Like the other from grid power payed line :) thanks to all, and you Sam ;)
Bedt regards

Must be like tihis, already buyed 1 like it and another to 6000A .

Case closed :)

Attachments

• 20220107_142348.jpg
    20220107_142348.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 3
Got it :) its the diferencial, its not working. In fact now I saw theyr not same looks like but are diferent. It must have more than 4500A. Like the other from grid power payed line :) thanks to all, and you Sam ;)
Bedt regards

Must be like tihis, already buyed 1 like it and another to 6000A .

Case closed :)

Yeah, post back after you replace them and confirm it works :geek:

Back