diy solar

diy solar

Window Licker Solar....???? 24V

GotSkoolied

Hi everyone - I thought it was time for me to finally post instead of just lurking about ?
After reading about the appliance fluctuation issues, the question I have is....is it better to just have an "overkill" setup?

We have a 'window licker' Short bus ? & I've been reading (& watching videos) for almost a year about what system we need/want.
The bus came with a complete Brand new 12v Renogy system - but I would like to be able to eventually *hopefully*charge an electric golf cart & small water heater... But it's not needed at this time...yet.
After reading the Prowse "Solar Bible" I knew the 12v system wouldn't work for the golf cart & such & that we definitely needed a 24v system...so I sold the whole shebang & made a list of what I think will work for now (bigger where needed *Inverter & Charge ctrllr*) but I can always add panels/batteries when (if) the golf cart happens.

In the beginning we will just have:
4.5CF fridge - a Ninja Foodi cooker - very small microwave - CPAP - 12v led strip lighting - 39"TV - surround sound - router/internet stuff - battery powered tools for basic repair - USB to charge phones/tablets (may also charge USB stuff off vehicle while driving). I do have a "kill-a-watt" to test the items as we get them. From what I've read the system (see list) I'm setting up should have no problems running these things.

I've made a shopping list on Amazon - sharing: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1L8MTS026SJMU?ref_=wl_share

I've got 2 different Charge Controllers & need help deciding which is best for me (price is DEFINITELY a factor)
I'll be getting (3) 160W panels (cheaper than (2) 300W panel) & it puts us over the 400W mark that we can add to later.
I'm also getting 2 of the 100ah Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries - also can add to later.
I was going to use 8ga wire since the 24v saves me some cash there... Can I go smaller? Bigger? Should I?

We're lucky enough to have a friend who is a field supervisor with our local power company who is coming over to hook everything up & teach us & our son the "how to's"... Teach a man to fish...
I think we've gotten all the basics from Will & all you awesome people here & at Skoolie.net...we couldn't have gotten this far with all of you... So thank you

Now comes the fun part...putting it all together. I'm actually going to try & post to our new blog so you can see what I'm doing right (& wrong) in the hopes that others can get the same help I do from the blogs.
Hubby & I battle some illnesses that can make us have to 'take a break' once in a while... Slow & steady wins the race LOL ?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you what I should add/delete to my list.
Thank you in advance for letting my pick your brains...
Magz1567116207516.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that your entire setup, with the exception the golf cart is 12v. I would think it much easier to charge one 24v item from 12v than to step down everything else from 24v.
You probably already have an 120v ac charger for your golf cart. The easiest solution (and perhaps least efficient) would be to use an inverter from your (now gone) 12v battery bank. I have not looked but a 12v input/24v charger probably exists somewhere too (i'd bet it would be expensive for a big one).

Alternatively, your 24v golf cart probably has (4) 6v batteries or (2) 12v batteries. Charging these would have been possible easily from as 12v system.

So long story short, i would reconsider a 12v system. And yes, being "solar rich" is an awesome setup so shoot for at least some overkill.

Back