diy solar

diy solar

Windy Nation VS Topsolar Flexible Panels

Capebuild

Hello. I'm new to this forum, this is my first post and currently building a teardrop trailer. I'm looking to install 2/100 watt flexible panels on the trailer's roof. Most 100 watt flexible panels have a width of 21.5 inches (give or take). However the space available on my trailer's roof is 20.5 inches (between fan bezel and corner aluminum molding on roof/sidewall).... so I'm a bit limited in my brand choice due to the width requirement.

I've been looking at Topsolar and Windy Nation's 100 watt panels. Both have a width of around 20.5 inches.

My question here, does anyone have any experience with either of these panels they could offer? Basically, is one panel brand "better" than the other..... could one be recommend over the other, is one more efficient than the other? I've installed a Victron MPPT 100/30 controller.... chosen to be a bit oversized for any future solar panel expansion.

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

John

trailer.jpg

Would you be able to use these?

If you’re that tight on space, how will you mount them? I went with Dicor roof tape on all four sides to prevent moisture from getting under for my Renogy flexible panels. A lesson learned for me was the amount of room the mounting fixtures took up, whether its tape for flexible panels or some sort of metal for flat panels.

I chose my flexible panels after cutting a piece of cardboard out for three different types and chose the one that fit on the roof the best.

With the hundreds of different types of panels available, I’d be surprised if you get a response about the particular one you’re askingfor.

If the panels are mounted parallel to the length of the trailer and if the panels are very long, won't you end up with lousy output? It would be like having part of the panel in shade.

Back