diy solar

diy solar

WindyNation 10guage extensions

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
I just recieved my set of 40' 10awg mc4 extensions. I'm no wire expert, but a quick visual side by side with my existing 12 guage coming out of my panel shows a noticable difference in actual size/diameter? Is this normal? Are the short lengths coming out of panels typically beefed up more with extra insulation? I kind of expected the extensions to be at least the same thickness, if not bigger. Both "claim" rated for oil, water, uv, direct burial, etc.. should I be concerned?
(Red one is the extension, black one is the panel cable)
Ty

Attachments

• 20201106_212055.jpg
    20201106_212055.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201106_210535.jpg
    20201106_210535.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 6
Your Windy lead is probably a single layer of insulation while the panel lead is dual layer with UV resistant plastic on the outside. If the Windy is used as recommended by them, it'll be fine in the application.

The white layer serves as an easy tell for wire damage, ie if you see white the wire should be replaced.

The insulation on the panel's wires will likely be rated to 1000VDC while the Windy extension may not be. That could also account for the difference.

Last edited:
The pv lead reads(it's a mouthful!)
Amphenol Industrial Powerlink
TUV 2PFG
1169 4mm2
PV1-F WIRE R 50191837
E341118 (UL) 12AWG PV Wire
90°C dry and wet
600V sun res -40°C
ROHC & LSZH

Windy cable reads
Kris-Tech Wire Co.
#10awg type XLPE RHW-2
600V and 1000V or USE-2 600V
(UL) "Sunlight resistant" ROHS

Deciphering all that code is NOT on my "things to do soon" list, I just want to be sure this windy cable is durable and legit and real 10 guagw. Its a ground mounted pv and I'm running it all thru PVC into my garage anyway.

Google turned up this for the wire. Seems likely it's good and Windy isn't known for producing rubbish.

From the TEMCo website on their PV wire webpage:
The term "PV wire" (photovoltaic wire) is often used to refer to USE-2 or THHN wire, the terms are not interchangeable. PV wire is specifically rated in accordance with UL 4703. THHN wire is used as general building wire and lacks the construction and strength of specialized cables designated as UL 4703 or USE-2. Using THHN cable in place of either UL 4703 or USE-2 will result in failures.

Though USE-2 wire is impact and crush resistant, UL 4703 rated cable is superior to USE-2 in regards to low temperature flexibility, sunlight resistance, and flame resistance. PV wire for solar panels also has a thicker jacket and insulation than USE-2 wire. USE-2 cable is used in grounded PV systems only, which UL 4703 cable can be used for both grounded and ungrounded arrays.

I bought my PV wire from TEMCo and feel that I got real PV wire. What you got doesn't appear to be real PV wire, but it depends on how you read the specs and how you plan to use your wire.

Back