diy solar

diy solar

Winston lowtemp charge and more

J Dude

When smoke clears, check connections and try again
Hi,

Just wondering, are there anybody who uses winston cells at lowtemp? Like below 0 celcius? And if, what kind of charge parameters you use?

im using those winstons (for now) only at above +5 celcius and cycle between 2.85 - 3.65 per cell.. is it possible to get more Wh out if max voltage would be something like 3.8 or 3.9?

Ps. Would it be cool, if Will could do high end (ish) diy batterybank test video with these winston cells ??

Where did you purchase your cells, if it were me, I would get in touch with the distributor you bought from (if its a reputable and knowledgeable distributor) or try to get in touch with Winston directly and try to get some guidance/data from them. Not many people here have experience with Winston cells, and there doesn't seem to be much detailed information, test data, etc publicly available (from the small amount of research I have done). I would love to see a true full datasheet from Winston or other fuller documentation than the single page specs that most sellers seem to have.

i did bought them at GWL.Eu. Im just wondering these things and finding out if some would have real life experiences of these batteries.
https://en.winston-battery.com/?cnxdc/317.html
there is link to that battery, but im not just comfortable to charge them below 0 celcius, especially if no one has done it before..

thanks anyway??

I am also interested in Winston battery. And I saw this video

And higher voltage can not get more Wh.

Last edited:
yep, im also curious to know how these batterys handle below freezing charging? but i seems no one has experience.. ??‍♂️

I have setup a lot of systems over the last decade using Winston cells. (they were the most popular LiFePO4 in Australia for a long time. Where i live minimum temps are -5°C. I set the systems to only charge above 0°C.

Set your maximum charge voltage to 3.5V/cell, same as any other LiFePO4. Holding them above 3.4V/cell for long periods will kill them fast.

They are proven high quality cells, plenty of systems well over a decade old and still going strong.

There have been many datasheets for Winston cells over the years. Like a lot of battery companies the specs are generally based on market feedback rather than analysis.

Treat them like any other LiFePO4 and they will treat you well.

GWL has a blog page detailing it a bit.

The key here is that you have to reduce your charge rate to NO MORE than 0.1C, so you have to have some way to regulate that. Like disconnecting part of your array, a smaller charger etc. Or just don't do it at all if you can when the temp is below freezing.

At 0.1C or LESS, the amount of charge you can obtain may simply not be sufficient to do anything with, so plan carefully. And there is also the possibility of a voltage drop during discharge higher than normal, like 1 volt.

Overall, avoid doing this. I view this as an emergency measure, not something one can actually live with.

Allright, good information thank you. It looks like i have to build some kind of small low power heating thing to keep batterys warm. Good thing here is that batterys are already in a box and it is insulated well.

I have setup a lot of systems over the last decade using Winston cells. (they were the most popular LiFePO4 in Australia for a long time. Where i live minimum temps are -5°C. I set the systems to only charge above 0°C.

Set your maximum charge voltage to 3.5V/cell, same as any other LiFePO4. Holding them above 3.4V/cell for long periods will kill them fast.

They are proven high quality cells, plenty of systems well over a decade old and still going strong.

There have been many datasheets for Winston cells over the years. Like a lot of battery companies the specs are generally based on market feedback rather than analysis.

Treat them like any other LiFePO4 and they will treat you well.
Can get a 200ah 48v Winston (9.6kwh) second hand (just over a year old and from house solar) for the same price I can buy a complete set, brand new with 3 years warranty, on same system but with Eve sells in Australia. Which would be your pick? ;-)

Can get a 200ah 48v Winston (9.6kwh) second hand (just over a year old and from house solar) for the same price I can buy a complete set, brand new with 3 years warranty, on same system but with Eve sells in Australia. Which would be your pick? ;-)
If i knew the Winstons had been used with the correct settings i wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. (in fact if you don’t buy them can you please PM me the owners details)

Back