diy solar

diy solar

Wire disconnect tool too big?

drunkenmugsy

I ordered what I thought was the right disconnect tool for some extension cables I bought locally. The tool is just one of the cheap blue plastic disconnect tools. It is too wide to fit in the slots. Is the tool wrong or do I have some weird extension cables?
The cables fit on the 4 port ecoworthy combiner box I got so I think it is the tool. The tool does not fit the screw on water proofing connectors either.

What is the right tool? Amazon link to correct one please?

Attachments

• wrong solar wire tool.jpg
    wrong solar wire tool.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 22
  • wrong solar wire tool2.jpg
    wrong solar wire tool2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21
That looks exactly like what I have. The prongs on the side and on the end are the same size though. Neither one fits these extensions.

Is there a way to tell exactly what connectors I have? They dont seem to have any markings. But as I said above they do fit the ecoworthy 4 port combiner box I have.

I was thinking that maybe they were MC3 connectors, but that's not right because MC3 connectors are tool-less. The connector in your picture almost looks like it is metal. But I doubt that's the case either. I've never seen an MC4 connector that was anything except black. (I don't get out much though)

I would go back to your local supplier and say WTF?

ATTACHED describes the different type of MC Connectors the the rights tools for them.
Wrong tool can easily mess up the connectors.

Attachments

• Connections-and-Connectors-Guide-to-Best-Practice.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
I ordered what I thought was the right disconnect tool for some extension cables I bought locally. The tool is just one of the cheap blue plastic disconnect tools. It is too wide to fit in the slots. Is the tool wrong or do I have some weird extension cables?
The cables fit on the 4 port ecoworthy combiner box I got so I think it is the tool. The tool does not fit the screw on water proofing connectors either.

What is the right tool? Amazon link to correct one please?
Have you tried using the tool perpendicular to how you have it pictured?

Back