diy solar

diy solar

wire ferrels.

packnrat

just found out about wire ferrels. made from tin coated copper.
they are thin metal to just hold the wire together so as to make the connection under the holding set screw. makes the wire able to be pulled out and put back after.
small dia there is a tool. but larger gets crushed to shape by the set screw.
these are not crimp connector. just a way to hold all the strands in place, under the set screw. and able to remove for service. then pushed back into place.

i gleaned this from a car stereo site.

I've purchased from https://www.ferrulesdirect.com. They allow you to use high strand copper cabling that is really flexible and therefore easier to install and route. If you don't use these with high strand cables you terminal connection may cut through those small gauge wires that make up the cable. For some reason these are not very well known for electrical installations in the USA but common in other countries.

I've purchased from https://www.ferrulesdirect.com. They allow you to use high strand copper cabling that is really flexible and therefore easier to install and route. If you don't use these with high strand cables you terminal connection may cut through those small gauge wires that make up the cable. For some reason these are not very well known for electrical installations in the USA but common in other countries.
I worked for a machine tool builder and every wire that was held in with a screw got a ferrule on it.

i for one never heard of them till just yesterday.
trick little gadgets.
and yes they look like any connection were the bare wire goes under a screw these things look to be great.
sad for me i would not use many of them ( as i see it now) but might be able to find “other” uses for them in the future. as the kits have so many of them.

I used the same vendor that @rhino did. High quality tools and supplies. Not all ferrules are created equal. Buyer beware.

Tools for heavy gauge ferrules are expensive. I'm not a fan of using the set screw to compress the ferrule. Set screws are rated for only so much torque and that may not be enough to really get a good crimp on the ferrule.

i just checked out that web site. can you say $$$$. but the good stuff costs.
and then there are different styles. not just sizes, bare or insulated.
i need to do a bit more research before i drop some bucks.

i just checked out that web site. can you say $$$$. but the good stuff costs.
and then there are different styles. not just sizes, bare or insulated.
i need to do a bit more research before i drop some bucks.

I made the mistake of thinking if four sided crimps are good, six sided is even better! Most of the terminals where we're using ferrules work just fine with four sided crimps.

I was having a problem with stray strands/loose connections in my RV...I had run all stranded copper and I think some of that had moved just enough to be a problem over 3 years and 10s of thousands of miles. I pulled that stuff and reterminated everything that touches a lug in the inverter and panel with ferrules. That seems to have solved my issues. I’m sold. Everything in the new build that goes into a lug will get a ferrule.

my biggest issue was finding a kit that did what I wanted...6AWG down through 18AWG. I managed to find a reasonably priced kit on Amazon that seems to do a decent enough job— everything from ferrulesdirect was either out of stock or outrageously expensive.

While I’m at it, I’m throwing away all of my wire nuts and stocking Wago 221...these things are life changers.

I added the Wago connectors to my inventory of connectors recently. I need to rewire a four gang switch box and I'll ditch the wire nuts there and replace them with the Wago.

Back