diy solar

diy solar

Wire from Solar panels to Charge Controller

ddanley

Hello,

I need some wires to go from the panels to the CC in the garage. The ultimate configuration will be 3s2p... Each string will be ~100 volts @9.3 volts. Two stings should be ~100 volts @18.6 amps.

Would the attached link be a good choice to go from the panels to the CC?

Thanks!

100V @18.6A on 80ft round trip of 8AWG

There are two things to check. Safety (can the wire handle the current) and voltage drop.

Safety: 18.6 x 1.56 = 29A. 8AWG wires are fine from a safety point of view (The listing says it is NEC rated for 55A so it must be 90 Deg rated insulation)

Voltage drop: Plugging the info into the following voltage drop calculator indicates a voltage drop of 1.6% which is fine. (Voltage drop should be less than 3%)

100V @18.6A on 80ft round trip of 8AWG

There are two things to check. Safety (can the wire handle the current) and voltage drop.

Safety: 18.6 x 1.56 = 29A. 8AWG wires are fine from a safety point of view (The listing says it is NEC rated for 55A so it must be 90 Deg rated insulation)

Voltage drop: Plugging the info into the following voltage drop calculator indicates a voltage drop of 1.6% which is fine. (Voltage drop should be less than 3%)
BTW: I assume the numbers provided were Isc and Voc. I used these for the voltage drop calculator, but a better calculation would be with Vmp and Imp. However, the difference would be small enough that it would almost certainly NOT change the answer.

Back