diy solar

diy solar

Wire gauge for charge to pack connections

Hravn

I just picked up an AIMS 75 amp 12/24 volt charger. I have two sets of batteries to charge, 1: a 24 volt eg4 LiFePo, and 2: 4 6 volt lead acid golf cart batteries in series/parallel for 12 volts. What size cables should I use to connect the batteries to the charger ? I have a 1/0 and a 2 gauge set but both have ring terminals to big to connect to the charger. The wire ampacity charts look like 6 or 8 gauge should be fine for both battery packs, (at 37 and 75 amps max respectively) especially if I turn the charger down from max amps, but I'm a bit confused about the chassis and transmission ratings in the ampacity charts.
The golf cart pack is at my off grid cabin, so I'll be using a generator to get those up to capacity.
thanks

At 75a rating I would be at #6 or #4. Not #8. Voltage drop is important also not just ampacity.

Or cut the terminals off the #2 and crimp on the right stuff.

For charging circuits I use both positive and negative cables. The chassis return is fine for less critical devices. Select wire size for what is needed, not what is in stock. But if so, go larger. Put, or have done, the propere terminal needed and use the 2 awg. Always wire to the maximum amperage possible, not relying on "turn it down from max amps". That is just a mistake waiting to happen.

Back