diy solar

diy solar

Wire Recommendations?

I have not used it. It looks like it would be nice wire to use.

A quick google search indicated that silicon wire has a very high temperature rating and corresponding high ampacity rating. I saw one table saying 12AWG silicon wire could handle 70A but I would never go that high with 12AWG. I would probably top out at 30A and then go to 10AWG.

Another nice characteristic of Silicon wire insulation is the chemical resistance. According to some articles, it has excellent resistance to most chemicals.

Don't get too caught up in higher ampacity as it will still have the voltage drop of undersized copper.
I have not used silicone covered wire and if it comes at a higher cost I would generally pass.

Don't get too caught up in higher ampacity as it will still have the voltage drop of undersized copper.
True that.

if it comes at a higher cost I would generally pass.
True... but compared to what?

I like to use Marine-grade wire because of its high ampacity, flexibility, and chemical resistance. It is definitely more expensive than most other types of wire but I am willing to pay the premium. If the Silicon wire is more expensive than marine wire, I would pass. If it is cheaper than marine-grade, I am interested.

Not so resistant to mechanical damage.
Fire resistant, might be good for balance leads if it could contain even melting conductor.
(Some connections inside my inverters are supposed to be "intrinsically safe", e.g. run data cables inside a silicone tube.)

I have been using silicone wire with excellent results.
Recently I got braided Pet Sleeve to protect the cables and they really helped with mechanical Damage.

Back