diy solar

diy solar

Wire size / type for Growatt 12000 DVM?

nadieselgirl

Hey folks. I'm wiring up my Growatt 12000 DVM this weekend and need to upgrade the wire going to my panel and sub panel. So, split phase, up to 6000 watts each. It looks like some types of copper 6 gauge would be fine, but 4 gauge seems ideal. Does anyone know if this inverter will accept this large of cable?

Should I be considering aluminum? It would be a lot cheaper.

Is there a type of wire for this situation that doesn't require conduit? I can only imagine this stuff is going to be a bear to work with.

Thanks friends!

SO cable comes to mind. It has finer strands and each individual conductor is more flexible than THHN of the same gauge BUT all 4 conductors in the main cable are inside the outer rubber insulation jacket. Therefore the bulk cable is fairly heavy and bulky.
Not sure if SO cable would be code compliant but it would certainly work to connect the Inverter to the breaker panels.

SO cable is code compliant, as long as it's not concealed inside walls or conduit. (Only in exposed installation) you might need to use ferrules on the end of the wires, to make it easier to connect.

Ended up with some SEOOW cable since its all that was available. Will this meet code? Need conduit? It's pretty tough stuff,

Back