diy solar

diy solar

Wire size

btemplet

Does anyone have a link to a chart for paralleling wires to increase wire gauge

Here is an example. There are many. Just look at the cross section area for a given size. In the gauge sizes on this chart, every 3rd size is double or half the cross section. 2 x 21 gauge is the same as 1 x 18 gauge, for example.

It is a bad idea to "parallel wires to increase wire gauge"

It is a pretty common practice in manufacturing to run parallel conductors, where one large conductor creates problems/challenges. If you think the practice needs to be discouraged, please state your position.

There will never be equal resistance on each paralleled wire, each could haul uneven loads. Not bad for the light load wire, but the heavy load wire may object and return all your smoke.
Each wire must be fused to that single wires ampacity. Else, in many scenarios one wire could carry its overload.
I have seen industrial ac current carried with doubled wires, but have yet to see dc current done or recommended that way.
I can go back through my books and find many references to engineering that state it is a bad idea.
But I will not. I really don't care how you dance.
I will follow my advice. You can follow yours.

Parallel conductors are used *all the time*, especially in industrial electrical. Several different factors drive that decision, but often it’s just conductor availability, equipment size, ease of installation, etc.

There will never be equal resistance on each paralleled wire, each could haul uneven loads. Not bad for the light load wire, but the heavy load wire may object and return all your smoke.
Each wire must be fused to that single wires ampacity. Else, in many scenarios one wire could carry its overload.
Exactly. That is why if you parallel 3 wires you don't go for 3 times the max current a single wire can handle. IIRC the number was 80% of the max current when wires are in parallel. But still - the job must be done correctly to avoid overloading a single wire.

I've seen flexible busbars for LiFePo4 cells that are off the shelf and are made of lugs with 3 wires in parallel. Even the BMSes kind of use wires in parallel. These are two applications for high current scenarios that are related to the forum.

Using a clamp meter to measure the current over each wire once the setup is complete will provide sufficient insights on if everything is done correctly.

Parallel conductors are used *all the time*, especially in industrial electrical. Several different factors drive that decision, but often it’s just conductor availability, equipment size, ease of installation, etc.
Correct its done all the time and not any issues. AC or DC its all the same.

Last edited:
I’m confused I have 4 240 watt panels (specs attached) in parallel would give me about 38 volts and about 32amps I have a rvr-40 renogy (specs attached) should that work

I’m confused I have 4 240 watt panels (specs attached) in parallel would give me about 38 volts and about 32amps I have a rvr-40 renogy (specs attached) should that work
Charger like this? It has 100v max PV input. If you have 4 panels, you could do 2 series and 2 parallel, bring in about 16 amps at 76v on a 10ga wire and be done with it.

Will I need 2 charge controller since since the max solar input power is 520
Not a requirement but your max power to the battery would be the rated watts. What is your battery system voltage?

Max Power Input: 12V @ 520W; 24V @ 1040W

So with that 40amp charger, you could charge with 520w max at any time. It is common to have more panel watts than what you can use allows for good current on less than perfect conditions. But if you need to put more than 40amps to the batteries, you need a larger charger or a second charger.

I do disagree with the experts that claim paralleled wires are acceptable to increase the ampcity in a DC circuit. It is not a good idea.

Back