diy solar

diy solar

Wire sizing question: Renogy Solar Eclipse 200 watt suitcase panels with Rich Solar 20 A MPPT controller.

Paul57

Putting together two off grid portable backup (solar) power stations in the event of an extended grid outage. Building two for redundancy and added power.

I have two Renogy 200 watt suitcase panel arrays. Replacing (keeping as backup) the factory installed "Voyager" 20 amp PWM controllers with Rich Solar 20 amp MPPT controllers remotely mounted next to the batteries. Wires between the remote Rich Solar charge controllers and batteries will be less than 3 feet.

I have a large south facing carport for PV placement. I will move panels in and out each morning/evening during grid power outages to charge four VMax 12v 125 AH SLA/AGM batteries. The four Vmax batteries will then power two 1500 watt inverters to run SW/LW radio, small DC powered TVs, laptops, phones, tablets, microwave, coffee maker, LED lights etc. No fridge. Two separate, portable, stations; each station having one charge controller, one 1500 watt inverter and two batteries.

Each Renogy Solar Eclipse suitcase has two 100 watt PV panels that are wired in series. Building two separate cart-mounted solar charging stations that I can roll around and keep shaded in the basement/garage during charging periods. I do not plan on running inverters during charging periods - the inverters will not be tied to/fed directly from the charge controllers. The idea is to keep the batteries charged up/over 50% with daily charging routines. Then connect the batteries to the inverters in the evenings to power appliances/devices listed above.

Here is the question: If I wanted to have 30 feet of distance between the solar panels and the charge controllers/batteries on these two carts, what minimum (AWG) size wire would I need between the PV panels and the controllers?

Thank you for helping,

Paul

If I wanted to have 30 feet of distance between the solar panels and the charge controllers/batteries on these two carts, what minimum (AWG) size wire would I need between the PV panels and the controllers?
One needs to know the voltage, amps and distance (provided).

Use this tool and stay below 3% voltage drop.

Not sure what voltage/amp specifications from what is provided by Renogy's specs would be the one needed to cacluate wire size. See the attached image. It shows 2 different voltages and 2 different amperages associated with the PV panels

Is the calculation for amps be watts / voltage = amps?

Apologize for my newbieness, which is why I am here.

I have worked as a commercial HVAC service tech in my younger days and ended up a renewable energy product manager for a water heater/boiler company before I retired....but when it comes to PV I am not very knowledgeable at all though I believe I have a good background to learn quickly.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• renogy website 200 watt PV suitcase specs.jpg
    renogy website 200 watt PV suitcase specs.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 4
Your wires from SCC to battery(s) and battery(s) to inverter may need to be beefier. Use the same logic (max charging amps, and max watts of your inverter)

Back