diy solar

diy solar

Wireless battery monitoring

clarkpeacock

As previously posted in the newcomers section of this fine forum, I am planning on replacing my existing 12v system with a 24v system, and now well on the way with that project.

I have acquired 8 almost new Leoch AGM 6390 batteries (6v 390ah each) to use with 8 x 250W panels, 4 connected to an EPever 30A mppt and 4 to an Iconica 3KW hybrid inverter/charger/mppt. Still working out best config for these but probably 2p2s as panels are 32voc. Lots of detail being decided as I go along - always something new to learn :)

One major change is that the new system is being housed in a purpose built enclosure outside of the cabin, so not so easy to monitor as the current one which is in a storage cupboard indoors. So, I want to put in some sort of wireless monitoring and come across this Chinese beauty! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383085739438

Seems too good for the price, so probably is... Anyone used one, or got any better ideas what to use? Maybe something using bluetooth to my phone?

I know I could just replace the whole lot with Victron and use the built in monitoring.... One day when budgets allow or I win the lottery!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Someone on here pointed out (to me) that the SmartShunt from Victron is a little less expensive than a BMV option. I decided that I liked the idea of the smartshunt better than one of the BMV options, because I only wanted the BMV to be able to hookup to a Raspberry Pi via the VE.Direct port. Don't be too intimidated by the Raspberry Pi as the setup was really rather easy. If you can download a file and copy data over to an SD card, then you could setup the Raspberry Pi. I made my own "victron" cables (to save some $$) and actually bought enough spare parts to make a few others. I've already sold one on eBay and just made 3 more (have a post in the for sale area).

Anyway, I would not overlook the Victron SmartShunt + Raspberry Pi as an option for your needs. Specifically because it seems like Victron is helping to make sure the Linux/Raspberry Pi solution continues to work.

Below screenshot from my PC is what you could see from your phone via wireless. If you cabin (doubtful) has internet then you could upload your data to the "VRM" and have more historical data.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.10.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.10.00 AM.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 47
If I’m not mistaken your Epever can connect to the MT50 remote screen via Ethernet cable. Not sure what distance you need to cover.

Another possible option might be Ethernet wireless dongles at each end?

Someone on here pointed out (to me) that the SmartShunt from Victron is a little less expensive than a BMV option. I decided that I liked the idea of the smartshunt better than one of the BMV options, because I only wanted the BMV to be able to hookup to a Raspberry Pi via the VE.Direct port. Don't be too intimidated by the Raspberry Pi as the setup was really rather easy. If you can download a file and copy data over to an SD card, then you could setup the Raspberry Pi. I made my own "victron" cables (to save some $$) and actually bought enough spare parts to make a few others. I've already sold one on eBay and just made 3 more (have a post in the for sale area).

Anyway, I would not overlook the Victron SmartShunt + Raspberry Pi as an option for your needs. Specifically because it seems like Victron is helping to make sure the Linux/Raspberry Pi solution continues to work.

Below screenshot from my PC is what you could see from your phone via wireless. If you cabin (doubtful) has internet then you could upload your data to the "VRM" and have more historical data.
Interesting. I assumed the smartshunt would only work with Victron equipment, but it seems not. We do have internet via an LTE router so looks useful. Will investigate further. Thanks

If I’m not mistaken your Epever can connect to the MT50 remote screen via Ethernet cable. Not sure what distance you need to cover.

Another possible option might be Ethernet wireless dongles at each end?

It does. I have the MT50 on my existing 12v system inside the cabin, but not sure how to route the cable from my new outside location to mount the display indoors. Holes mean spiders according to my wife :) DC & AC connections are already catered for via glanded cables.

Good point about the wireless dongles though. Just found one on eBay at £25ukp so the same price as the Chinese battery 'monitor'. Will order one and try it out.

Thanks ?

I assumed the smartshunt would only work with Victron equipment, but it seems not.
The only thing made by Victron in my setup is the SmartShunt. The rest of my setup is a hodge podge of stuff I bought on amazon, 100ah SLA battery, Renogy CC (might replace this with a used Victron MPPT), renogy 175w panel, etc.

The problem with the Epever equipment is that whilst it uses an ethernet cable, the protocol is different so you cant just plug it in to a router even though its an RJ45. The wifi & bluetooth dongles only connect to a mobile or tablet, and the biggest kicker is that if you are wanting to monitor the battery SOC its useless as the Epever is extremely inaccurate at predicting that.

I use USB to RS485 cable, and have an intel NUC running VNC and solar station on my setup - I can monitor it from anywhere, but if the info is inaccurate - whats the point.

No matter how I program the controllers, they absolutely will not give any meaningful info relating to how full the batteries are. I can have two controllers connected to the same battery, with the same length and type of wire, and both will show different reading buy as much as 35% or more.

I've been reading more about the victron smart shunt and it seems to be the ideal piece of kit, although a little pricey. It's going on my victron wish list :)

If you do end up buying the smartshunt, save these posts I've made elsewhere here. Making your own cable(s) will save you from paying $30+ for the victron cable.

This post has a link to a YT video showing how to wire them
This post shows you the amazon components I bought to make the cables.

I had decided against the Smart Shunt, mainly due to the added benefits of the Smart Battery Protect. I still get monitoring/history, but added On/Off load switching, HVD/LVD fully configurable, and their alarms. It seems a better spend than a shunt alone..am I missing something?

Screenshot_20201019-055516_Firefox.jpgLocal guy (Philippines) makes these dongles for less than $50. He makes for many inverters and solar chargers so that people can wirelessly monitor their inverters/chargers via the Internet.

I lent him my SmartShunt and he did some programing, and, voila! I can now monitor my SmartShunt wherever I am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201019-055530_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201019-055530_Firefox.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
Looks like the Smart Battery Protect only gives you that data over BT. I wanted something that would feed into a Raspberry Pi via the VE.Direct cable so that I could push data up to the victron VRM Portal

I had decided against the Smart Shunt, mainly due to the added benefits of the Smart Battery Protect. I still get monitoring/history, but added On/Off load switching, HVD/LVD fully configurable, and their alarms. It seems a better spend than a shunt alone..am I missing something?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at the Victron website, it states that 'The Smart BatteryProtect is not designed for reverse currents from charging sources.'

I guess in my application where I'm going to be using a combination of solar and hybrid chargers (from generator), this would mean it would not be suitable? I seem to remember reading somewhere else that you can't use a smart battery protect with a Victron Multiplus?

Would make a cheaper alternative if I'm wrong though, and bluetooth only would suit my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at the Victron website, it states that 'The Smart BatteryProtect is not designed for reverse currents from charging sources.'

I guess in my application where I'm going to be using a combination of solar and hybrid chargers (from generator), this would mean it would not be suitable? I seem to remember reading somewhere else that you can't use a smart battery protect with a Victron Multiplus?

Would make a cheaper alternative if I'm wrong though, and bluetooth only would suit my needs.
This is what I use, but would not be any good I think because it is not wireless. It does surface as a local ammeter and SOC indicator and is bi-directional showing charge current.

@MadMax03 I'm not sure what @Alfalfameister "local guy" did and what service he is using, but you can also use a Raspberry Pi (a cheap mini computer) to push data from the SmartShunt to victron's (free) VRM Portal. See the below photo for the data I'm able to see from my "Solar Shed" below. This is a screenshot from my VRM Portal website.Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 7.04.48 AM.png

I have a smart shunt but have not gotten it installed in my system yet. Love to hook it up to raspberry to have wireless communication through LTE modem. So many projects!!!

@MadMax03 I'm not sure what @Alfalfameister "local guy" did and what service he is using, but you can also use a Raspberry Pi (a cheap mini computer) to push data from the SmartShunt to victron's (free) VRM Portal. See the below photo for the data I'm able to see from my "Solar Shed" below. This is a screenshot from my VRM Portal website.View attachment 25341
Why would you not use the included BT capability with the SmartShunt to push the data? I could also probably build something with a nano and an HC-06 but that would be redundant. Been a Pi fan since V1.

The port of the Victron Venus software over to Linux for the Pi doesn't have BT connectivity supported from what I can see. I'm using a 3B+

Back