diy solar

diy solar

Wireless battery monitoring?

Bumblebee

Hi, I was just wondering what would be a recommended wireless battery monitor for a small solar panel install (600 W).. I had a search through the forum and it appears that the Victron Smart Shunt got a recommendation but I didn't see any other parts except some generic ebay products, is this the only one or is it just the best? I would like to have a look at all their datasheets to figure out which is the most accurate and reliable.

Is there anything I should look out for before purchasing a wireless monitor? Please forgive me if this is a basic question.

Looks like there is an ongoing thread on a similar topic here:

This one is definately worth a look-see. Well built, It has worked reliably for me, and has excellent customer support. The designer (Raz), personally answers emails, and was quite helpful when I had some questions.

This one is definately worth a look-see. Well built, It has worked reliably for me, and has excellent customer support. The designer (Raz), personally answers emails, and was quite helpful when I had some questions.
This looks like a really interesting and well-made bit of tech he's putting together. Thanks for letting me know about it, wasn't on my radar!

I'm an EE by trade and into PCB design, and I've got to say I love the way he's fit the PCB around the shunt. I might get in touch and pick his brains if he is available over email. Could I just ask what is it you use your wireless monitor for is it just for checking when the battery is empty and how much sunlight you are getting that day? It seems like a cool tech feature but not sure what else I would use it for...

I should be upfront that I am doing academic research into micro solar installations and I am just trying to understand as much as possible about solar right now.

I use it primarily as a battery fuel gauge (coulomb counting) for my main bank, although in the future, I will probably take advantage of its ability to be programmed to trigger a relay as well. It also keeps cumulative stats and has an input for a temp sensor - that can also be used to trigger a relay. Nice tech.

Hello Everyone, I'm revivng this thread as its been almost a year and I'm wondering if anyone has figured how to collect data from the Victron Energy SmartShunt continuously and forward that to a remore monitoring 24/7 software, either through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth via a Raspberry Pi or Arduino?

Hello Everyone, I'm revivng this thread as its been almost a year and I'm wondering if anyone has figured how to collect data from the Victron Energy SmartShunt continuously and forward that to a remore monitoring 24/7 software, either through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth via a Raspberry Pi or Arduino?
Er, load the Victron/Venus O/S on a Raspberry Pi maybe?

Er, load the Victron/Venus O/S on a Raspberry Pi maybe?

Thanks for the tip,

but what hardware is needed for this to work? Do we need the speical USB cable to connect to the smart shunt or can we stictly talk over Bluetooth? Or has anyone has another way for wireless communication between the shunt and Pi?

Thanks for the tip,

but what hardware is needed for this to work? Do we need the speical USB cable to connect to the smart shunt or can we stictly talk over Bluetooth? Or has anyone has another way for wireless communication between the shunt and Pi?
smartshunt(VE.direct)->rpi(venus gx)->modbus->homeassistant

Wish they would make some kind of WiFi dongle that I can plug into my chargery bms. I’m wanting that to send the bms info to an app.. haven’t found anything yet. Bluetooth won’t work for me. To far away

Thanks for the tip,

Maybe this will make it easier.

Buy him a beer. :)

Last edited:
Hi, I was just wondering what would be a recommended wireless battery monitor for a small solar panel install (600 W).. I had a search through the forum and it appears that the Victron Smart Shunt got a recommendation but I didn't see any other parts except some generic ebay products, is this the only one or is it just the best? I would like to have a look at all their datasheets to figure out which is the most accurate and reliable.

Is there anything I should look out for before purchasing a wireless monitor? Please forgive me if this is a basic question.
Bogart has a Wifi dongle for the monitor that may work for you

Back