diy solar

diy solar

Wiring a 6 into 1 combiner box wire size.

Ummm ok...

So if I go with 4awg, can I pull a few threads off the connection to get it to fit the 6awg input on the 3080? Is there a better way to do that?

Also the manual suggested a dc input fuse/breaker of 120a. Which is almost double what should be coming through the wire. Does that seem right?

Yeah, no permit or inspection, but I do want to do it correctly.

8 awg, definitely isn't large enough for the panels I have
If I were building it,8 AWG wire will limit the panels to 40 amps.BBE1D053-5E72-4AC6-91C7-7B3081825FD4.jpeg
And if you derate that by 1.25, That would leave me with 4s3p. Probably would be too much voltage.

I dislike these games.

If I were building it,8 AWG wire will limit the panels to 40 amps.View attachment 123720
And if you derate that by 1.25, That would leave me with 4s3p. Probably would be too much voltage.

I dislike these games.
Yeah I only have between 60 and 115v to play with as far as the working voltage goes. So that's why I'm at 2s6p to try to make it stay within requirements.

If I were building it,8 AWG wire will limit the panels to 40 amps.
Limit? No.
Read your own chart. 1sr column is not THHW.
My example... 7.81 imp *6 = 46.86 amps *1.25 = 58.575.. Array is split in half AND used panels soooo never see that current. Using my linked chart, awg 8 good to 70 amps, using your chart good to 55 amps. So, good.
So if I go with 4awg, can I pull a few threads off the connection to get it to fit the 6awg input on the 3080?
No

Last edited:
Yeah I only have between 60 and 115v to play with as far as the working voltage goes. So that's why I'm at 2s6p to try to make it stay within requirements.
I’m considering a 6048 for a project. I think if paneling becomes a problem putting the puzzle of voltage and amperage and wire size, I will hook an SCC to charge from the panels that don’t fit into the all in one.
imit? No.
Read your own chart. 1sr column is not THHW.
My example... 7.81 imp *6 = 46.86 amps *1.25 = 58.575.. Array is split in half AND used panels soooo never see that current. Using my linked chart, awg 8 good to 70 amps, using your chart good to 55 amps. So, good
You may build it to what you want. I only hope you do not live next door or park by me.

I will stick to 60 c insulation rating. As far as the chart, google images of ampacity charts and it will pop up first or second.

So any advice on linking the 4awg into the 6awg ports on the 3048?

I also have a 100 amp dc circuit breaker left over from another project. Any issue using that in between the combiner box, and the mpp unit?

I’m considering a 6048 for a project. I think if paneling becomes a problem putting the puzzle of voltage and amperage and wire size, I will hook an SCC to charge from the panels that don’t fit into the all in one.

So you'd have a charge controller and the AIO hooked to the same battery? Do you have to do anything , or put anything in between the connections?

(Sorry, I'm a rookie...)

So you'd have a charge controller and the AIO hooked to the same battery? Do you have to do anything , or put anything in between the connections?

(Sorry, I'm a rookie...)
I need to read the manual a little more and check the forums to see what happens when others do this.

I have three SCCs hooked to my batteries for three different sets of panels, and there are no issues. The only issue I see that could happen is if the All in one communicates with the battery. I don’t know how hooking a SCC to a battery as another charger would effect this communication, but I’m not sure.

My tentative power requirements for this are 4kw constant and 6 kw peak of charge capability with a 4 kw draw. Panels would be 6 kw and the inverter would be 6 kWh. Battery pack would be around 12 kWh. The panels would require around 40 square meters of space.

I like the idea of all in ones especially for cost saving, but looking at all in one inverters often times a 6 kW inverter can’t really provide 6 kW of charging power, either for things like a 3 kW charging limit or finding panels to not exceed the voltage or amp limits If I build this project, the requirements I have may drive me to have components and not an all in one.

(Sorry, I'm a rookie...)
Sure. Circuit breakers on both sides of a device provides a quick, simple way to completely isolate that device from electricity. Maintenance, upgrades, troubleshooting...

So any advice on linking the 4awg into the 6awg ports on the 3048?

I also have a 100 amp dc circuit breaker left over from another project. Any issue using that in between the combiner box, and the mpp unit?
My opinion is that 4 gauge is overkill and unnecessary. But if you're determined to use that perhaps you can add ferrules to the ends. That might help. Get a good crimper.

Provided that i it is a DC breaker...
As a simple switch, no issue. But if you have an overcurrent episode, that breaker is too large.

Back