diy solar

diy solar

Wiring/Array Design Choices

Idahome

I am building my first small system to run the garage and to tinker with before building a significant system. I am wrestling with the array design. I have cobbled together in bits and pieces over about 18 months of shopping yardsales, message boards, local sales, etc. the basics of this first system:

10 HQST 100w panels
MN 6 circuit solar combiner box
Hybrid inverter charger w/ 3000w inverter, 40a MPPT - key elements for my question below: max PV input voltage is really 95v (its listed 30-100v), 1400 max PV, 24v DC/battery system.
Reliance 30a transfer box to run the garage and in emergency a few house circuits
2 - EcoWorthy ground mounts (they will hold 5 of those panels each)

So, the dilemma I am likely overthinking. My plan is to do a 2S5P system. That ends up with relatively amp heavy lower volts arriving at the inverter charge (48.6v and 26.7a). I'd like to increase the voltage arriving at the box - seems like I don't have a lot of room for lower producing days to stay above the 24v battery system. I initially though I'd do two strings of 5 panels but that takes me WAY over voltage. I've even thought of running just 9 of the panels in three strings at 72.9v and 16.02a.

What would be the best, more effective balanced way to take best advantage of the pieces I've been able to cobble together? I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions as I move forward with the snow finally melting with my first little system.

I do have two other 100w panels (different brand/size but fairly close stats) but I don't have racking space for them and well - the asthetics (which I probably shouldn't worry about)

Last edited:
My ideas.
- 3s3p and keep a spare.
- 4s3p, pending specific panel specs, and extend the ground mounts with more unistrut.
-Sell the HQST and buy used residential panels.

My ideas.
- 3s3p and keep a spare.
- 4s3p, pending specific panel specs, and extend the ground mounts with more unistrut.
-Sell the HQST and buy used residential panels.
Being fairly new to it, it seems odd that there might be value in not using one of the panels. Kind of hard to wrap your head around initially. But as I've worked on it more and more, I've wondered about 3S3P being a better option for this first little setup. Yes - the second array as part of the "roof" to a large deck gazebo we plan on building will likely use some quality used residentials from some of the resellers here in the West. A much bigger array which sadly will require much more expensive equipment. But I've always planned on a phased process to get to where I'd like to be. I appreciate the insight - thanks.

Last edited:
Back