diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Diagram

redrock514

I am over my head and I would greatly appreciate some help. I am trying to construct a supplemental PV system. I bought the MPP inverter charger, model PIP1012LV-MS. Same as the one reviewed and recommended by Will Prowse on this website. I also bought two 345W Q Cell. I plan on buying a battery, not sure which kind yet. The system is for a house that is also connected to the grid. I would like to connect PV system to my house system. I know 700W will not power the entire house and that it certainly won't feed power into the grid. Watching Will's video, I am missing any instruction on how to connect to the house system. I do have an electrician willing to do the connection, but he wants a wiring diagram and he will not do any design. Is there anyone who could help me prepare a wiring diagram?

Jared

I am over my head and I would greatly appreciate some help. I am trying to construct a supplemental PV system. I bought the MPP inverter charger, model PIP1012LV-MS. Same as the one reviewed and recommended by Will Prowse on this website. I also bought two 345W Q Cell. I plan on buying a battery, not sure which kind yet. The system is for a house that is also connected to the grid. I would like to connect PV system to my house system. I know 700W will not power the entire house and that it certainly won't feed power into the grid. Watching Will's video, I am missing any instruction on how to connect to the house system. I do have an electrician willing to do the connection, but he wants a wiring diagram and he will not do any design. Is there anyone who could help me prepare a wiring diagram?

Jared

I know there are people on this forum that have used the MPP in the manner you are intending to use it. Hopefully they can provide more detail. As a first step, consult the manual, reputable manufacturers will give some example wiring diagrams and/or instruction for different use-cases. If you find a section or a diagram that you think might be relevant but don't quite understand post it here and I'm sure people can help decipher it.

Page 2 of the manual gives a conceptual diagram but not the particulars. If I was going to set up something like this I would do it with a small secondary panel (consumer unit/fuse box/what ever) and move a number of wall outlets (GPOs) and/or lights to that secondary panel then have the inverter's input wired to the main panel and output to the secondary panel. It's only a baby unit so the total concurrent draw will need to be under 800W (about 7 amps at 110VAC).

I'd do up a labelled diagram but my drawing skills are so bad that it'd probably only add to the confusion or would take so long to do that someone else is bound to have done one by the time I finish mine :)

Reactions: Dzl
Thank you for the great suggestion, that makes total sense. Please, if someone has a diagram I would truly appreciate it being posted.

Thank you for the great suggestion, that makes total sense. Please, if someone has a diagram I would truly appreciate it being posted.

Sounds like the conceptual diagram Gnubie referenced is in your manual. That would be a good place to start. Do you have access to your manual?

edit: also probably worth browsing the All-in-one section of the forum, there are a lot of MPP owners here, you may be able to find a diagram that fits your use case their.

Page 2 of the manual gives a conceptual diagram but not the particulars. If I was going to set up something like this I would do it with a small secondary panel (consumer unit/fuse box/what ever) and move a number of wall outlets (GPOs) and/or lights to that secondary panel then have the inverter's input wired to the main panel and output to the secondary panel. It's only a baby unit so the total concurrent draw will need to be under 800W (about 7 amps at 110VAC).

I'd do up a labelled diagram but my drawing skills are so bad that it'd probably only add to the confusion or would take so long to do that someone else is bound to have done one by the time I finish mine :)

Gnubie, before I head over to the All-in-one section, is the attached diagram matching what you are suggesting?

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram v1.PNG
    Wiring Diagram v1.PNG
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
Yes, that's largely it. Is the link between the main and second panel for a manual transfer switch to let you flip the circuits the PIP is supporting to mains if the PIP fails?

Gnubie, before I head over to the All-in-one section, is the attached diagram matching what you are suggesting?

Not an answer to your question, but I noticed your batteries say (fuse if lead acid), I believe you want to fuse regardless of battery chemistry.

Not an answer to your question, but I noticed your batteries say (fuse if lead acid), I believe you want to fuse regardless of battery chemistry.
Thanks for the comment. I guess the Battleborn lithium has an over-current protection. I'll add one in just to be safe.

Yes, that's largely it. Is the link between the main and second panel for a manual transfer switch to let you flip the circuits the PIP is supporting to mains if the PIP fails?
I interpreted your comment to wire as such, so I have not reason. Any correction or additional comments would be appreciated.

Ah, that wire is the link between the existing cabling and the second panel. That might be confusing for the electrician so I'd draw it as the circuits to be supported by the PIP being shown directly connected to the secondary panel.

Ah, that wire is the link between the existing cabling and the second panel. That might be confusing for the electrician so I'd draw it as the circuits to be supported by the PIP being shown directly connected to the secondary panel.
So delete the line?

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram v2.PNG
    Wiring Diagram v2.PNG
    83.8 KB · Views: 10
Yes, looks OK.

Something to think about though, depending on what the circuits you are moving to the secondary panel are, a manual transfer switch to disconnect the PIP and reconnect grid power to the secondary panel in case the PIP fails and/or has to be removed from service. If it doesn't matter if those circuits have power or not, then the transfer switch isn't necessary.

Back