diy solar

diy solar

Wiring inverters

But OP did not mention anything about the comm for the inverter, if there is no comm involved then each set of wire for each inverter do not have the same.

I am curious as to what will will happen to the system with parallel comm for inverters if Voltage at the DC input of the Inverter are not the same?
So if all the wires are the same, If one inverter is running with heavy load and other inverters have very light load, the DC at the input of the heavy loaded inverter will see less Voltage due to Vdrops on the wires for that inverter, the other inverters that have very light loads so they see higher Voltage than the heavy loaded inverter, what will happen?
Notes: I have never deal with inverter that has comm port so that is why I ask what it will do if they do not see the same DC input Voltage.
Also excuse my English, since it is my second language so my writing is not that good.

I am curious as to what will will happen to the system with parallel comm for inverters if Voltage at the DC input of the Inverter are not the same?
So if all the wires are the same, If one inverter is running with heavy load and other inverters have very light load, the DC at the input of the heavy loaded inverter will see less Voltage due to Vdrops on the wires for that inverter, the other inverters that have very light loads so they see higher Voltage than the heavy loaded inverter, what will happen?
Notes: I have never deal with inverter that has comm port so that is why I ask what it will do if they do not see the same DC input Voltage.
Also excuse my English, since it is my second language so my writing is not that good.
The parallel communications cables, keep the loads equally shared between inverters.
If they see a difference in battery voltage. They think that they are not connected to the same battery.
This will result in the inverters throwing an error code. And possibly shutting down.

The parallel communications cables, keep the loads equally shared between inverters.
If they see a difference in battery voltage. They think that they are not connected to the same battery.
This will result in the inverters throwing an error code. And possibly shutting down.
How does it keep the load equally shared? One inverter may be used for running the fridge, another inverter may be running the TV and computer, another inverter may be for AC. How does comm tell the inverter that are running the lighter load or heavier load than the other inverter that has heavy load to increase or decrease the load?
"If they see a difference in battery voltage. They think that they are not connected to the same battery."
There is no way to have all inverter seeing the same Voltage due to Vdrops on the wires which will dictated by the current draw of each inverter.

Do you have the make and model of such inverter that can do that?

All paralleled (with communications cables) inverters, work this way. The inverters are wired (line and load), as one (Paralleled). When connected this way, they act as one larger inverter.

All paralleled (with communications cables) inverters, work this way. The inverters are wired (line and load), as one (Paralleled). When connected this way, they act as one larger inverter.
Nice explanation Tim; lets see if I got it.

In a truly paralleled system (including communications cables) all wires from the battery (or battery bank) to the bus bars must be of equal length; just as all wires from the bus bars to the inverters must be of equal length in order to provide equal power to all inverters.

Are we assuming all inverters are identical and are feeding the same distribution point, like a Main Panel?
I do not believe the OP has provided either inverter or distribution point information.

Nice explanation Tim; lets see if I got it.

In a truly paralleled system (including communications cables) all wires from the battery (or battery bank) to the bus bars must be of equal length; just as all wires from the bus bars to the inverters must be of equal length in order to provide equal power to all inverters.
Yes, that's it.

Are we assuming all inverters are identical and are feeding the same distribution point, like a Main Panel?
When using parallel communications cables, outputs must also be paralleled.
It's actually the reason for using parallel communications cables.
If the inverters are serving individual loads. No need to parallel.
I do not believe the OP has provided either inverter or distribution point information.
Nope
This is why I said "if".
If they are true paralleled. (With parallel communication cables) they have to see the same battery voltage. 1 or 2 inches may not matter. 12 inches, probably will. You'll know for sure, if you get errors.

Back