diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Lynx Distributor to MultiPlus II

corn18

Village Idiot
I am going to install a MultiPlus II 12/3000 2x120 in my system. I would also like to use a Lynx Distributor. I have 4 things to hook up to the distributor:

1. MPII (350A)
2. SCC (50A)
3. SCC (50A)
4. DC power distro (100A)

The MPII calls for 2 x 2/0 wire. I don't think I can double up 2/0 into a single hole in the Lynx Distributor, can I? If not, I will need to use 2 slots on the distributor for the MPII. Now I need 5 slots and have 4.

Any idears?

if you cannot get two M8 cable lugs bolted down buy another Lynx distributor, then you'll have 3 extra slots

if you cannot get two M8 cable lugs bolted down buy another Lynx distributor, then you'll have 3 extra slots
Sure, sure. If that's the only option, I'll keep my current bus bars.

DC wiring 290RL victron.jpg

Last edited:
That's basically the purpose of the Lynx Power In. It's a pretty and convenient bus bar system. Less expensive than the Distributor because it doesn't include the fuse workings.

That's basically the purpose of the Lynx Power In. It's a pretty and convenient bus bar system. Less expensive than the Distributor because it doesn't include the fuse workings.
Those blue boxes would look pretty. Still debating how much I want to spend on pretty.

DC wiring 290RL install.jpg

They are both large, too. So, if you're trying to fit into that box, straight up bus bars may be a lot easier.

They are both large, too. So, if you're trying to fit into that box, straight up bus bars may be a lot easier.
Holy crap! I just watched a video of one and they are huge. Thanks for the heads up.

If you wanted, you could hook the MPII up to the opposite end of the bus bars in the Lynx the end that you would normally hook the next Lynx onto. If you do you might need to expand the openings a tad to fit the lugs in, but it is made for the tangs from one 1000AMP Lynx to fit into another.download.jpg

Just use a single 4/0 for the MPII. That is also a supported config from Victron.

This is what the manual says:

View attachment 71560

Yes that is the recommended setup from Victron. You get more current carrying capacity in the cables and also more lug contact area with two 2/0 versus a single 4/0.

But they also recommend a single 4/0 for applications where running dual cables is not permitted. For example in marine applications where you need to comply with the ABYC standards you are not allowed to run parallel cables even if separately fused.

What is your required length of cables?

Yes that is the recommended setup from Victron. You get more current carrying capacity in the cables and also more lug contact area with two 2/0 versus a single 4/0.

But they also recommend a single 4/0 for applications where running dual cables is not permitted. For example in marine applications where you need to comply with the ABYC standards you are not allowed to run parallel cables even if separately fused.

What is your required length of cables?
18" is the cable length. I would much rather use single 4/0 rather than double 1/0 or 2/0. Do you know if the 4/0 cable connector will fit on the lugs?

18" is the cable length. I would much rather use single 4/0 rather than double 1/0 or 2/0. Do you know if the 4/0 cable connector will fit on the lugs?

So with that short of length I'd have no concerns using a good quality 4/0 cable. Remember you need to use the full round-trip length so in this case it's 3 ft or 0.9m. Still well inside the specs.

For lugs any good quality 5/16 (M8) lugs will work. I prefer the molex ones as know they are quality materials and construction, but lots here like Temco, Ancor, etc, etc.

Also critical is the crimp quality - for these two cables I would suggest you order pre-assembled quality cables. It doesn't cost a lot more but for the heavier cables like 2/0 and 4/0 having a bench mounted hydraulic crimper really helps - hand held units can do it but hit or miss.

My go to is:

Looks like $38 for a pre-assembled 20" cable.

So with that short of length I'd have no concerns using a good quality 4/0 cable. Remember you need to use the full round-trip length so in this case it's 3 ft or 0.9m. Still well inside the specs.

For lugs any good quality 5/16 (M8) lugs will work. I prefer the molex ones as know they are quality materials and construction, but lots here like Temco, Ancor, etc, etc.

Also critical is the crimp quality - for these two cables I would suggest you order pre-assembled quality cables. It doesn't cost a lot more but for the heavier cables like 2/0 and 4/0 having a bench mounted hydraulic crimper really helps - hand held units can do it but hit or miss.

My go to is:

Looks like $38 for a pre-assembled 20" cable.

Thanks for the link. Looks like high quality stuff. I use a hammer crimper which seems to do good crimps, but not hydraulic good.

I have to think on the Lynx Distributor to make sure it does something I need. Right now, all I have to do is mount the MPII where my 2000W inverter is now and use the 2/0 cables I already have. The distributor would pretty things up a bit, but I would need to add more Victron stuff to make it more useful than my current busses.

Thanks for the link. Looks like high quality stuff. I use a hammer crimper which seems to do good crimps, but not hydraulic good.

I have to think on the Lynx Distributor to make sure it does something I need. Right now, all I have to do is mount the MPII where my 2000W inverter is now and use the 2/0 cables I already have. The distributor would pretty things up a bit, but I would need to add more Victron stuff to make it more useful than my current busses.

If you have a working system with all the fuse holders and such in place I would not bother with the retrofitting of the Lynx.

It is a nice unit if you are starting from scratch and using the Lynx shunt and a Cerbo as well (the Cerbo will be able to tell you Lynx fuse status in a not so distant firmware update).

We use a lot of them in marine installs but those typically have more space and people who are more finicky that things look good as well as work well.

Coolio! Thanks. Looks like you have the MPII and 2 solar inputs on your Lynx Distributor. What is the fourth? Is that for DC power to the RV?

It is charging from my Orion DC-DC charger.

My DC power for the RV comes off of the secondary contactor of my REC Active BMS. If I add another MPPT, I will move the Orion to the secondary contactor as well.

Back