diy solar

diy solar

Wiring manual transfer switch

rhino

Solar Wizard
I have a Midnite 60A manual transfer switch. I simply want to use it to allow me to bypass 120V grid power around a Victron Quattro inverter I am putting in while I am testing/installing it. I have a 120V circuit that has L1, neutral, and ground. L1 connects to circuit breaker and neutral to the neutral busbar in the enclosure but what about the ground? There is a single chassis ground in the enclosure but no ground busbar. Are they expecting you to just use a winged wire connector to continue the ground on if the inverter is bypassed?

Isn't that showing the neutral busbar? The grounds on everything else in the diagram have nothing connected.

Yes, that one looks like the neutral busbar.
Breaker panel has separate neutral and ground bars.

Lots of electrical boxes come with a single isolated bar, and a green screw which can connect that bar to enclosure to serve as the system's single neutral/ground bonding point (e.g. if used at service entrance.) An optional separate ground bar is available to mount directly on box if used as a sub-panel, so ground wires can be connected and neutral (isolated from direct ground connection in the box) can also be used.

If wiring as shown in that diagram, you should run ground connections to all boxes and devices. Ground should bond to neutral at one point. If this is an off-grid system, it could be in that breaker panel.

You could use a green wire nut in that box, with one wire going to the box itself. or get a ground bar and mount that.

I'm going to wire the "transfer" switch to bypass the inverter and wondered if someone can double check my crude diagram if it looks correct. This is only for 120V and showing only the single hot line and assume appropriate gauges and grounds tied together:
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 3.31.46 PM.png

I can't tell well enough from the diagram if that blue thing is supposed to be an interlock.
There are some ganged, internally interlocked DIN breakers. There are also interlocks to mount on breaker panels, and some come pre-mounted.

I can't tell well enough from the diagram if that blue thing is supposed to be an interlock.
There are some ganged, internally interlocked DIN breakers. There are also interlocks to mount on breaker panels, and some come pre-mounted.
Yes, sorry.. the blue thing is an interlock. So moving one pair of breakers forces the others to trip in opposite direction.. That one is a Midnite solar one.. and just realized they had their breakers positioned wrong in their diagram I copied since they are both in ON position which would be impossible with the interlock on it.

Back