diy solar

diy solar

Wiring multiplus 2/ 5th wheel transfer switch

2019 Cummins

My fith wheel came generator prep the transfer switch already installed. I am wondering can I just pull out the transfer switch out and run 6/4 Romex Wire on the incoming shore power side where the transfer switch was uusing lug blocks or Polaris Multitap Connectors to add 15 feet of 6/4 to the inverter input line? Then from the inverter line out 15 feet back to where the transfer switch was using lug blocks or Polaris to the line going to the breaker panel? Or would it just be best to pull all the 6/4 Romex Wire out that came on the 5th wheel make a continuous run from the shore power to the inverter line in and from inverter line out to the rv breaker panel? All a continuous run.

Ideal would be one continuous run of wire… but that’s expensive and a big pain to run it in an already built RV.

So I would splice and add wire- just use very high quality splices. 6ga wire is rated for 50amps on each leg. I doubt, even with everything on, you will reach those power levels.

The biggest risk (in my opinion) is your splice vibrations. A few years and many miles down the road, it vibrates lose, then you have a poor connection with lots of heat.

Good Luck

Ideal would be one continuous run of wire… but that’s expensive and a big pain to run it in an already built RV.

So I would splice and add wire- just use very high quality splices. 6ga wire is rated for 50amps on each leg. I doubt, even with everything on, you will reach those power levels.

The biggest risk (in my opinion) is your splice vibrations. A few years and many miles down the road, it vibrates lose, then you have a poor connection with lots of heat.

Good Luck
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of using Polaris connectors for all the wires in a box and then periodically check the tightness of the connectors. They have a plug u pull off torque down .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-122948_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-122948_Chrome.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1
Back