diy solar

diy solar

Wiring my converter

catscan3

I am upgrading the tiny factory solar package and I need some help.
The trailer came with a Waree PWM controller, a waree 50 watt solar panel.
I have purchased a 200 watt Bouge solar panel, a Epever 40 amp mppt controller and a 100 amp Lifepo4 battery to start with. I understand the wiring to the controller, it is simple enough, but how do I wire my factory converter in? I will down the line add an inverter but it is just not in the budget now.
Thanks

Assuming this is a converter/battery charger? You converter would be wired just like it was before--probably with a wire directly to a buss bar or connected directly to your battery, and maybe a separate wire to your 12 v distribution panel. However the charge profile of your existing converter is probably not ideal for a Lithium battery, but maybe OK for the short term. You mention getting an inverter in the future so the solution might be to get an inverter/charger designed for lithium.

The common problem is a "power loop" between the inverter and converter.
If you don't have an inverter no action is required.

If you don't connect to shore power, then the converter isn't an issue. If you do connect to shore power then, as @frthompson said, a change to a converter that understand a LiFePO4 profile may be in order. Some converters are four stage and it's that fourth stage that is bad. It's an equalization stage that is designed for flooded lead acid batteries. The voltage can exceed 15.0 volts, which is bad for LiFePO4.

Most trailer converters are installed under the main distribution panel. The output is wired to the DC fuse panel and the input is often coming directly from a circuit breaker on the AC side. Swapping converters is fairly easy in a simple system with no integrated inverter.

When it comes time to upgrade your system to an inverter, consider spending the extra money on an inverter/charger. That solves the loop that @smoothJoey referred.

Back