diy solar

diy solar

wiring panels

jscusmcvet

A quick question on the wiring of panels. My panels will be wired in 4 strings. 2 strings will feed one EG4 6500 inverter and 2 strings will feed the other. When I wire the 2 strings of each feed together, how do I stop the current from the solar panels, or is it OK to just work on it while the strings are feeding current down the wire? I have done electrical work in the past but have always had the ability to shut off current as needed. Is it as simple as throwing a tarp over the already mounted panels? Got some great advice earlier on how to do the combining of strings and now looking into this step. Thanks for your help. John

run your long wires to the inverters first. on the panels if you need to make any wires make any wires ( add MC4 connectors) make all your wires Before connectng them. then hook up all the pannels. when you go to hook up your panels, make sure the inverter is off and disconnect from the battery. working on live panels is ok, just be carfull.

run your long wires to the inverters first. on the panels if you need to make any wires make any wires ( add MC4 connectors) make all your wires Before connectng them. then hook up all the pannels. when you go to hook up your panels, make sure the inverter is off and disconnect from the battery. working on live panels is ok, just be carfull.
Thanks for your help.

This is not good advice.

Solar panels can easily develop over 50VDC to well over 500VDC depending on how they are wired. 50VDC might not kill you but it can. 300VDC is almost certainly going to kill you dead immediately, and can initiate and sustain a very long arc.

Being careful does not mitigate risk.

Making sure that you don’t handle live panel voltage wires by using light block covers and panel disconnects and safe tools IS how you mitigate risk.
when you go to hook up your panels, make sure the inverter is off and disconnect from the battery.
Most charge controllers want the battery connected before connecting the solar panels. Probably all SCCs.

This is not good advice.

Solar panels can easily develop over 50VDC to well over 500VDC depending on how they are wired. 50VDC might not kill you but it can. 300VDC is almost certainly going to kill you dead immediately, and can initiate and sustain a very long arc.

Being careful does not mitigate risk.

Making sure that you don’t handle live panel voltage wires by using light block covers and panel disconnects and safe tools IS how you mitigate risk.

Most charge controllers want the battery connected before connecting the solar panels. Probably all SCCs.
Thank you your continued advice. This is a daunting project for someone with limited experience and infrequent times to be able to circle back to it.

Never hurts to do hookup early morning or on an overcast day. By having disconnects (combiner box, DC breaker, fuses) between panels and SCC you can do a fair amount of the wiring with no potential for current flow. If you have to work midday in full sunlight some black builders plastic over the panels will ensure there is no output. One thing to keep in mind is you do not have any current flow from the panels until they are loaded. Just voltage.

thing to keep in mind is you do not have any current flow from the panels until they are loaded. Just voltage
Even in moonlight :)
I was not surprised but nevertheless startled to note my panels displayed 17VDC last night after 11pm

Even in moonlight :)
I was not surprised but nevertheless startled to note my panels displayed 17VDC last night after 11pm
You must have one of those new Lunar panels designed so that no longer are you dependent on daylight to have power. My new Lunar array seems to only work good during periods of Full moon.

Back