diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Question for Renogy DC-DC with MPPT

btrine32

Hello!

I am curious if it is okay to run different wiring AWG than what Will has in his image (see image). I already purchased 8 AWG wiring for the solar panels from a van lifer's website and have 1 AWG wire that I could use instead of the recommended 4 AWG wiring for the remaining connections in the image. Thoughts?

Also - I'm curious why this set up does not have a positive bus bar. I did not get one for the set up because I'm not the expert, I just notice others have them.

1592229948548.png

Hello!

I am curious if it is okay to run different wiring AWG than what Will has in his image (see image). I already purchased 8 AWG wiring for the solar panels from a van lifer's website and have 1 AWG wire that I could use instead of the recommended 4 AWG wiring for the remaining connections in the image. Thoughts?

I don't think there is ever reason not to use larger gauge wire (if the terminals can accomodate it), you should be A-OK using larger gauge. Just make sure your components and circuit breakers can accommodate 1AWG.

Also - I'm curious why this set up does not have a positive bus bar. I did not get one for the set up because I'm not the expert, I just notice others have them.

I think it could/should have one.

Back