diy solar

diy solar

Wiring systems

Brakeman3

Hi all, I'm new to van offgrid wiring set ups and was looking for a little help. Here's what I have for a set up that I'd like to do. Starting with a trio of Renergy 200w monocrystalline panels in the roof, currently connected to a MTTP 30 controller then to my three 100ah AGM batteries. I want to install a Renergy 50a DC to DC MTTP charger to charge from the vehicle alternator and also a Renergy 2000w sine wave inverter/charger so I can connect to shore power. My problem is that I don't know how to go about the wiring set up and if I need to eliminate the current controller or not. I've been looking online for wiring diagrams but haven't found any with this combination. Anyone have some help, suggestions or links to diagrams? All help welcomed. Thanks

Anyone have some help, suggestions or links to diagrams?
Power source --> charger --> battery
3 times:

solar --> MPPT SCC --> battery
alternator --> DC-DC --> battery
shore power --> inverter/charger --> battery

Having a beefy bus bar(s) at your battery(s) will make for easier connections. Keeping distinct charging systems will greatly simplify things like determining wire size and fusing.

Have you figured out how you will be configuring your array (all parallel or all series)?

I've got them hooked in parallel right now.
So every system will need fused separately correct? Will I need any shut offs as well?

So every system will need fused separately correct?
Yes, each will have their own wiring that needs protection with fuses.
Will I need any shut offs as well
You will definitely want a way to cut off power from your panel(s). A breaker is a good combination of fuse and switch.

You can turn off the alternator (engine, and/or possibly at DC-DC) and unplug/switch off shore power so not as important to add that functionality.

Back