diy solar

diy solar

Wirinig SCC

Begginer7

Hi everybody, I almost got all my components but I have a doubt, I am following Wills classic 400 setup but Epever representative has advised to wire in a different way and I want your opinion.

I was planning to wire the scc from the inverter pos. and negative and put a fuse there. However the Epever representative stated that is better to wire the scc directlly from the battery and place a fuse there, which one is better?

Thanks.

That should be; SCC -> cable -> fuse -> battery.
With multiple connections needed at a battery terminal, it is better to use a BusBar.
Device -> cable -> fuse -> BusBar -> cable -> fuse -> battery.

The Epever rep is correct. Connect to the battery via a fuse at the battery end of the cable.
Your inverter and fuse box also need fuses at the battery end of their feed cables. As suggested, to save multiple connections on the battery post use a buss bar.
The safe solution is to have a 'master fuse' at the battery feeding a buss bar, all other circuits connect to this buss bar via fuses or breakers.
The 400 setup demonstrated the concept. A practical installation should follow best electrical practice.
Will add a diagram.
diyapril22.jpg
all fuses in fuse holders, the MRBF fuse/holder at the battery may be mounted directly on the battery post.
Breakers may be used to replace other fuses if desired. Use only quality breakers, many from eBay and Amazon are unreliable.
Fuse distribution units are available that combine the positive buss bar with fuse distribution,

Mike

Last edited:
I prefer a 4 stud Power Bar for use as BusBar. I can use MRBF fuse holders right on the BusBar.
MRBF are better with 12V LFP battery than any other fuse except Class-T.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/18/5/BusBars/PowerBar

It is a good idea to follow the instructions from the device manufacturer. That be better than searching forums for a contrary answer that you want to have.

The Epever rep is correct. Connect to the battery via a fuse at the battery end of the cable.
Your inverter and fuse box also need fuses at the battery end of their feed cables. As suggested, to save multiple connections on the battery post use a buss bar.
The safe solution is to have a 'master fuse' at the battery feeding a buss bar, all other circuits connect to this buss bar via fuses or breakers.
The 400 setup demonstrated the concept. A practical installation should follow best electrical practice.
Will add a diagram.
View attachment 92522
all fuses in fuse holders, the MRBF fuse/holder at the battery may be mounted directly on the battery post.
Breakers may be used to replace other fuses if desired. Use only quality breakers, many from eBay and Amazon are unreliable.
Fuse distribution units are available that combine the positive buss bar with fuse distribution,

Mike
In order to keep my cost as low as possible and to keep it as simple as possible my design does not include buss bars, its only a 12v system with one 1200wh battery and a 1000w inverter with a 40a scc, however I am confused about the sok meter that I got, does the negative that goes to load have to be connected if so what would be the recomended cable gauge?, can I connect it to the negative of the inverter which seems to be replacing the busbar in the classic 400 video? If I use a thick wire from meter to inverter I still need a extra wire from battery negative to negative of inverter?

Thanks

What sok meter do you have?

If you use a battery monitor meter;
Battery negative terminal -> cable -> B side of shunt -> L side of shunt -> All other negative return cables and wires from all devices.

Here is an answer you want. Not the best solution, but it will work if you only have an inverter and solar charge controller connected to one battery. Not good if you connect anything else.
Battery Positive->fuse->bigger cable->Inverter positive->fuse->smaller cable->SCC. Same with negatives, but no fuses.
I would never build my system like this.
Select your cable gauge using a chart.
This one is ok. http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

Last edited:
Will add a diagram.
View attachment 92522

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for providing this helpful diagram. I think it answers one of the questions I have, but I want to verify.
My solar goes to the SCC, out to a 20 amp fuse, and then to the positive post on the battery. I also have a positive coming from the battery to a 100a ANL fuse and then to a bus bar, as shown in your diagram. However, the output from the SCC does not go to the positive or negative bus bar, it only goes to the battery. The inverter is connected to the bus bars, but the SCC is not, so that means the inverter can ONLY draw power from the battery. Am I missing an opportunity for the inverter to draw power directly from solar, via the bus bar? I hope I explained that well enough.

Jason

Mike,

Thank you for providing this helpful diagram. I think it answers one of the questions I have, but I want to verify.
My solar goes to the SCC, out to a 20 amp fuse, and then to the positive post on the battery. I also have a positive coming from the battery to a 100a ANL fuse and then to a bus bar, as shown in your diagram. However, the output from the SCC does not go to the positive or negative bus bar, it only goes to the battery. The inverter is connected to the bus bars, but the SCC is not, so that means the inverter can ONLY draw power from the battery. Am I missing an opportunity for the inverter to draw power directly from solar, via the bus bar? I hope I explained that well enough.

Jason
Power will flow from the SCC to the inverter when its voltage is higher than the battery voltage. The mechanics of wiring are really more for keeping all your fuses in one place and having a single point of interconnection. It makes troubleshooting much easier down the road.

However, the output from the SCC does not go to the positive or negative bus bar, it only goes to the battery. The inverter is connected to the bus bars, but the SCC is not, so that means the inverter can ONLY draw power from the battery. Am I missing an opportunity for the inverter to draw power directly from solar, via the bus bar? I hope I explained that well enough.

Jason
Bus bars connect to battery terminals

Scc leads connect to battery terminals

Which means the scc  is connected to the bus bars, and by extension the inverter, and the pv will power the inverter.

Back