diy solar

diy solar

Wiser3 Solar charge controller communication help

Dacflyer

I have Wiser3 charge controller that's been doing really well for me. It has a com port. Supposed to be RS485.
There isn't any instructions on how to connect.
I'm using a usb to RS485 adapter to connect to the RJ45 plug.
As far as i can tell, ( had to open the unit) 5,6 are tied together and 7,8 are tied together.
The usb adapter only has 2 connections.
I've tried to connect, but i can't establish a connection.
The usb adapter is detected as COM4
I had to search hard to find the software for it.
Found it on I-panda solar, and the program is solareagle.
Can anyone give me any help on this, so I can connect.
Thanx

Attachments

• 20201110_153122.jpg
    20201110_153122.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201110_153151.jpg
    20201110_153151.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks like a SRNE charger. Do the pin assignments below make sense for your RJ socket? 5, 6, 7, 8 aren't use so they could be being used as shield (RFI) wires.

1605051826639.png

It'll probably be all gooble-de-dook to you but you can at least tell if there is any attempt at serial communications between your PC and the charger. Grab a copy of sysinternal's portmon, start it running and then open the solareagle program and see if anything is logged. You can set it to filter out everything but solareagle by right clicking the solareagle entry (it may not be called solareagle, check the properties of the shortcut you start it with to get the exe name) and setting a filter... I think. It's been ages since I've used this as I don't live in the Windows world anymore.

Use the normal version instead of the live version.

ok,, update, i finally got communications with the controller..yay..
I had to finally crack the unit open and trace things out.
on this unit.. on the RJ45 Jack, pins 1 and 2 are for Tx, Rx I don't know which one is which..
and there is also 5vdc on pins 5,6 (-) & 7,8 (+) what to use them for ? No idea either..
Anyway, I have communications and i see data, But i need a login to change parameters.
it must be at least 6 digits long.. Hmmm all zeros, fail......all 1's Fail....... 123456 Fail....Hmmmm

Hi DacFlyer, try 88888888 for the password. This is the default for Cloud-Box-M1 which is the Wifi module that can be connected to the box. At least a pair of the 5vdc pins power this gadget.

I would love to know more about what you are using for communications etc. I literally just plugged in a RS485 to USB cable now but have not got anything working. Admittedly a Noob at the RS485 comms.

ok,, update, i finally got communications with the controller..yay..
I had to finally crack the unit open and trace things out.
on this unit.. on the RJ45 Jack, pins 1 and 2 are for Tx, Rx I don't know which one is which..
and there is also 5vdc on pins 5,6 (-) & 7,8 (+) what to use them for ? No idea either..
Anyway, I have communications and i see data, But i need a login to change parameters.
it must be at least 6 digits long.. Hmmm all zeros, fail......all 1's Fail....... 123456 Fail....Hmmmm

Back