diy solar

diy solar

Wish you had an agm technical manual?

Substrate

Solar Addict
I thought this might help those who might have a generic conventional agm and wish they had a tech-manual for it.

While this pdf file is specific to PowerSonic, their guidelines are much in line with most everything else out there, but of course if you have a manufacturer's specific manual follow that one!

I relied on this consumer level tech-manual for ages, whether I had their product or not. In fact, you may see others who simply did a copy and paste of some of it in their manuals!

The "Technical Manual" can be found here in pdf form

I find it a bit more comprehensive than their "How to charge lead-acid" paper.

For a consumer level tech-manual, it's pretty awesome. If it seems like too much, just be sure to see the "Do's and Dont's" section near the end.

In fact, the most common question of "how long will it take to charge" is explained with a formula as the very last paragraph! Useful for those starting out with solar assuming perfect conditions, new batteries, and getting a handle on what is realistically achievable or totally out of the ballpark.

It might seem simplistic, but if followed, worked for me many moons ago for napkin-calc'ing my setup. :)

Last edited:
Yeah - lots of good stuff, but don't get tangled up in the "taper charge" unless you are using your Dad's battery charger from 1976. But it's interesting to see how dangerous and innacurate that was!

Shows right up front too about Peukert and what to expect. And why trying to hammer these at 1C is obviously worse than LFP ! :) For that you gotta' go to pure-lead, but now we're talking a new ball-game with manuals from Enersys...

Back