diy solar

diy solar

Wood Crate DIY

dmholmes

Would it be okay to use a wood crate (example) instead of a milk crate for a DIY portable power station build? Enough ventilation?

Probably okay. The concern is primarily for the inverter and charge controller. If you can mount them such that they can self-ventilate (natural or forced convection) without hinderance, I don't see a problem.

I don't particularly like the example. It appears lightweight. The slats on the side are notably thinner. If this box is treated well, it will probably be fine. Any impact will likely break it. At 9.5" high, it also seems kinda small.

I'd be worried about the bottom falling out. What is the weight capacity?
I haven't looked around yet, that was just the quickest example I could find. That could definitely be an issue, looks like I would need to support at least 50 lbs for the battery and inverter/charger.

Look for a solid wood one and route out side holes/panels for ventilation. Make sure your battery fits!

Would it be okay to use a wood crate (example) instead of a milk crate for a DIY portable power station build? Enough ventilation?

I’m currently building a small system in a very similar version of that crate:

Rebel 100 Ah 12v battery and a 1kW inverter.

The battery is 28 pounds and the 7 pound inverter will be mounted on a 1x10 divider in the crate which will add some strength and keep that weight off the bottom.

I’m willing to risk the $12 or so if I bust the crate. ?

Talk about plenty of ventilation!

Last edited:
Back