diy solar

diy solar

Wood Fueled Battery Charger

So how many hours a day do you expect the turbo to run at peak output?

I can’t say eBay turbos are designed for constant peak load for hours on end.
I would say 4-8 hrs a day or more depending on how much it puts out and how much heat is needed. I would not run it at peak output, more like 25% or less of its power.

I'm looking for under a 1,000 watts. Just enough to keep the fridge and lights on for cloudy no solar days.

Yes, you are right but one of the main goals is to get away from complex mechanical parts that wear out pistons, rings, valves, etc...
Except turbos ?

I recommend you looking up efficiency graphs of turbos.

Peltier modules would fit the bill:

This was my thought.

Would be interesting to heat water with the fire, and then circulate heated water to the Peatier. Would even more interesting if you can get the circulation to happen with natural convection.

@sunsurfer

Did you ever get this up and running?

I'm looking at building something similar
I am still working on the design. I'm hoping to start on it this next summer for next winter. To many other projects right now that have higher priority but I figure this gives me 6 months to work out a design.

Right now, I am looking at using the housings, compressor and turbine off of an auto turbo and mounting them to the generator vs mounting the generator directly to the turbo. The only bearings would be on the generator. This is how IHI did it with the dynajet 2.6 kw generator

dynajet.png

I am still working on the design. I'm hoping to start on it this next summer for next winter. To many other projects right now that have higher priority but I figure this gives me 6 months to work out a design.

Right now, I am looking at using the housings, compressor and turbine off of an auto turbo and mounting them to the generator vs mounting the generator directly to the turbo. The only bearings would be on the generator. This is how IHI did it with the dynajet 2.6 kw generator

View attachment 126312

Woh it's a little bit more complicated than I had in mind !

Are you thinking about turbo charging the wood gasifier itself & then using the drive coming from the turbo turn the generator ?

Woh it's a little bit more complicated than I had in mind !

Are you thinking about turbo charging the wood gasifier itself & then using the drive coming from the turbo turn the generator ?
The leap of connecting the generator is the big challenge. I would love a simple bolt together option but longer bearing life will be likely if it is based off the generator vs the generator bolted to the turbo.

I am NOT using a wood gasifier, just burning the wood directly

The leap of connecting the generator is the big challenge. I would love a simple bolt together option but longer bearing life will be likely if it is based off the generator vs the generator bolted to the turbo.

I am NOT using a wood gasifier, just burning the wood directly

Interesting keep us up to date ?

Instead of direct drive to the generator have you thought about a simple belt drive ? Also that gives you a chance to change the ratio to get the gen spinning at the correct speed

Back