diy solar

diy solar

Work in Progress - no solar yet, 24v 3000w Inverter and 400ah LiFePO4 with battery protect

Johnny.Cash!

This is the start of a system using Will's 4000w 24v template. I do not have solar panels yet and I wanted to start work on the power system for the property.
Battery Bank: 4 12v 100aH Battle Born
Inverter: Giandel 3000w 24v to 120v
Battery Protect: Victron 220 amp
Battery Monitor/Shunt: AiLi 8-100v 350a
Wire is all 2guage
Of note: I do not use the shower or water in the RV. The system will be moving to a shed shortly.

UPDATE:
Just got back from two weeks of sunshine, water line is installed.

Added the 24v to 12v converter with a 10 gauge extension cord with cigarette lighter end. Also attached Iota DLS-27-25-x to batteries via 2 gauge wire, it's a 110/120v to 24v 25a converter/smart charger.

During the two weeks of work was able to use a small generator (1800 continuous) plugged into RV, with power strip from RV plug powering the charger. The Iota with IQ4-x smart charger attached has a bulk, absorption, and float stages. What was great was being able to have access to 3000w at any point while only running the small generator.

System worked great. Even was able to run batteries down to point the Victron Battery Protect kicked in and shut down the system due to low voltage with batteries at 13.06v and it restarted automatically upon enough recharging. The Iota has a LED light on the front which acts as a sensor of sorts. Solid light means full and in float, slow flashing means batteries ready for absorption, and fast flashing means batteries are getting low and ready for bulk.

I put load on the system via a 12v electric blanket and a variety of 110/120v low wattage kitchen appliances.
Electric kettle pulled 1130w.
Toaster oven 650w.
Ice Maker max 200w (it would vary during the process of making ice).
Hot Logic Mini induction cooker 30w.
Oil filled heater with 3 setting 450/650/1160w
NOTE: The numbers are what the inverter screen was showing for each item. Also the inverter fan didn't kick in until around 1200w so silent running from the system.IMG_20191012_142547746_HDR.jpgIMG_20191121_163444474.jpg

Last edited:
Will typically recommends 80% DoD; the drop-off isn't like lead but running them at 100% does shorten their life as does high charge rates.

Just got back from two weeks of sunshine, water line is installed.

Added the 24v to 12v converter with a 10 gauge extension cord with cigarette lighter end. Also attached Iota DLS-27-25-x to batteries via 2 gauge wire, it's a 110/120v to 24v 25a converter/smart charger.

During the two weeks of work was able to use a small generator (1800 continuous) plugged into RV, with power strip from RV plug powering the charger. The Iota with IQ4-x smart charger attached has a bulk, absorption, and float stages. What was great was being able to have access to 3000w at any point while only running the small generator.

System worked great. Even was able to run batteries down to point the Victron Battery Protect kicked in and shut down the system due to low voltage with batteries at 13.06v and it restarted automatically upon enough recharging. The Iota has a LED light on the front which acts as a sensor of sorts. Solid light means full and in float, slow flashing means batteries ready for absorption, and fast flashing means batteries are getting low and ready for bulk.

I put load on the system via a 12v electric blanket and a variety of 110/120v low wattage kitchen appliances.
Electric kettle pulled 1130w.
Toaster oven 650w.
Ice Maker max 200w (it would vary during the process of making ice).
Hot Logic Mini induction cooker 30w.
Oil filled heater with 3 setting 450/650/1160w
NOTE: The numbers are what the inverter screen was showing for each item. Also the inverter fan didn't kick in until around 1200w so silent running from the system.

IMG_20191121_163444474.jpg

I plan on doing a nearly the same my intent was to start off with 200 ah worth of battery backup in four to six hundred Watts worth of solar panel I'm sure I will need more of both but was hoping to start there and build up

Last edited:
Will, what you do recommend x4 BB or x6? for pulling around 300w-500w all night for like 13 hrs. leaving 50% or more DoD

If you only plan on going to 50% what’s the point of wasting thousands of dollars? Based off my math your requirement would be 8 batteries. That using the 500w number for obvious reasons.

Back