diy solar

diy solar

Worth upgrading 115V Pump to 220V to help balance Split Phase?

Since location #17 is empty. The new breaker can be located in spaces #17 and #19.

It's possible that the previous owner had a backup generator that only put out 120v. And this is why he kept everything connected to one phase.

You'd be replacing it with a double pole breaker. Make sure it is the correct breaker for your brand of panel, label on the door should tell you the type you need.

Found this article explaining double x single pole breakers, but of course, they only show the wiring diagram for the 1-pole breaker!

https://www.cooltoday.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-a-single-and-a-double-pole-breaker

I think I am getting the idea. I will need to get the panel model and brand and go back to Lowes and ask for a 2-pole breaker. After that I think once I see it i'll be able to reverse-engineer and plug it to the panel.

But this seems a lot simpler than trying to add a separate 240V panel next to the main panel.

Thank you everyone!!

Look at how the panel bus bars are designed.
Each phase is connected to every other space.
This allows two spaces beside each other to output both phases. (240v)

It's possible that the previous owner had a backup generator that only put out 120v. And this is why he kept everything connected to one phase.
Is everything connected to one phase only? :oops: I thought it was surprisingly balanced between loads and phases.

Also, I thought the panel had to be split phase to support this so I suspect he had to plan from the beginning. Meaning if he bought a split phase panel that he knew the genset he was going to buy was split phase.

That was my understanding, which could easily be off.

All of the breakers in the picture, except for #1 and #2. Are connected to the L2 phase. Being feed by the black wire, at the top.

Edited

Look at how the panel bus bars are designed.
Each phase is connected to every other space.
This allows two spaces beside each other to output both phases. (240v)
I am back in the city now... we had no running water so we decided to come back to sort this out. I will have to finalize this once I am back in the cabin.

But I am confident on the pump replacement and in the 240V wiring. Ordering the pump now! I really appreciate the help!

All of the breakers in the picture, except for #3 and #4. Are connected to the L2 phase. Being feed by the black wire, at the top.
I will need to take better pictures next time I am in the cabin. But I was under the impression from posting some photos of the panel earlier that the loads were actually balanced.

In any case, I suspect this is something that if confirmed not balanced, that I should be able to move some breakers around or reconnect some breakers?

I first need to get the (new) pump running then i'll be more comfortable working around the panel.

I will need to take better pictures next time I am in the cabin. But I was under the impression from posting some photos of the panel earlier that the loads were actually balanced.

In any case, I suspect this is something that if confirmed not balanced, that I should be able to move some breakers around or reconnect some breakers?

I first need to get the (new) pump running then i'll be more comfortable working around the panel.
Yes

On a side note. I can see a 3 wire romex capped with wire nuts, in the bottom of the panel. If you decide to connect it as two 120v circuits in the future. Make sure that the two breakers are beside each other. Since they will be sharing the one neutral in the Romex. Otherwise, you will overload that neutral wire.

I'm surprised my fellow pros didn't comment how poorly your panel is "balanced" right now. And by the way that "100amp subpanel" looks to be fed with only #8 good for 40 amps

I wanted to circle back and close on this thread: I was able to replace the broken pump with a new 115/230V pump. I also bought a 2-pole circuit breaker and re-wired the breaker for the pump, so that I could run it 230V.

Everything went well and I better understand how the 240V Split Phase panel works. New pumps actually runs quieter and lower amps.

Thanks everyone with the help!

Pump.jpg

In my old Square D box I THINK alternate spaces will use all be using one leg of your grid 220VAC. That is why a 220VAC circuit breaker is double width and spans two holes. Make friends with an electrician.

Back