diy solar

diy solar

Would love some feedback on this AC wiring.

Dragoth

EDIT 3:
I have modified the diagram to be more simplistic (I seem to always over complicate things) and essentially do exactly what a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone adapter does where it combines both L1 and L2 together and feeds them both with a single phase 120v in position 1. In position 2 it will disconnect the L1 from L2.

EDIT 2:
Thank you all for the feedback so far. I have added the switch input/output to the diagram and added connected lines to show where they go. I am essentially trying to make it that my inverter will work just like a 30amp to 50 amp dogbone that connects both L1 and L2 to a single 120v

EDIT:
I realized that I'm over complicating it a bit and don't need to have the output from the transfer switch go through the manual switch. So I'll basically be using the manual switch to change from the inverter powering both panels to the inverter allowing passthrough of 1 leg of 120v and powering only 1 panel while the shore power powers the 2nd leg. I've attached the updated diagram.

For reference, the switch I'm using has 3 positions: 0, 1 & 2. 0 is off (but in my case, I will have a jumper between input 5 and output 4 so that will always be connected).

Position 1 connects the following positions: 1 to 2; 5 to 6; & 9 to 10
Position 2 connects the following positions: 3 to 4; 7 to 8; & 11 to 12

END EDIT

I currently have a single Victron 24v 3000VA inverter (not 2x120) that I am wiring into my RV so that it can power both legs of the AC panel. (This is temporary until I can afford to purchase a 2nd inverter). I want to still be able to use my generator and shore power at the 50 amps that my RV came with. I think I've sorted out how to do it and will be using a manual rotary switch to change wire input/output to accommodate the wiring. Can anyone look over my diagram and let me know if they see anything potentially a problem?

With no shore power and no generator power I will keep the switch in Position 1 which should show no input voltage on the inverter so that it will invert the power from the batteries. The output will go back into the switch which will then jumper it to allow both legs of the panel to be functional (albeit not at the full power)

If I'm connecting to shore power or the generator I will switch over to Position 2 which should simply pass leg 2 through to Panel 2. The inverter will see power coming in on Leg 1 and go into passthrough mode that will then output back into the switch through the jumper and out to Panel 1.

I don't believe there is any issue with this setup, even if I plug into a 50 amp connection with the switch in position 1, leg 2 will enter the switch and then go nowhere else since it won't be connected at that point. So there is no way to accidentally plug into 50amp shore power and send 240 volts into the panel (via leg 2 and the inverter, if that makes sense). It would just power both panels via a single 120v leg as a passthrough.

Thanks in advance. I've been going over this for a few days and I think I have it sorted, but want to hear from others since I don't feel like burning down my RV

Attachments

• Inverter Wiring 4.jpg
    Inverter Wiring 4.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Inverter Wiring 6.jpg
    Inverter Wiring 6.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What terminals are connected with the switch in position one or two? Seems over complicated. Why do you want to power a single leg on a single panel from shore power? Seems like and on/off switch would do what you've got there.

What terminals are connected with the switch in position one or two? Seems over complicated. Why do you want to power a single leg on a single panel from shore power? Seems like and on/off switch would do what you've got there.
I have edited the OP to basically reflect just that. I updated the diagram and added what pins are attached to what. It will basically be a switch to change between the inverter powering both sides of the panel and shore power powering both sides of the panel.

I have edited the OP to basically reflect just that. I updated the diagram and added what pins are attached to what. It will basically be a switch to change between the inverter powering both sides of the panel and shore power powering both sides of the panel.
just include the switch modes in the original diagram. i keep switching back and forth but i gave up.

It looks like inverter is only 120V, while source is 120/240V split-phase.
Panel 1 is 120V only, panel 2 is split-phase, but not clear whether inverter can supply panel 2.

It is OK to have inverter back up single-phase panel 1.
Generally not OK to feed 120V only into a 120/240V split-phase panel, but there are ways to make it work.

Can't follow the Switch Input, Switch Output. I suggest some documentation of that switch, or two complete drawings, one representing switch in one position, one representing the other.

It looks like inverter is only 120V, while source is 120/240V split-phase.
Panel 1 is 120V only, panel 2 is split-phase, but not clear whether inverter can supply panel 2.

It is OK to have inverter back up single-phase panel 1.
Generally not OK to feed 120V only into a 120/240V split-phase panel, but there are ways to make it work.

Can't follow the Switch Input, Switch Output. I suggest some documentation of that switch, or two complete drawings, one representing switch in one position, one representing the other.
I'm sorry for the confusion on the diagram. This is my first go at creating any type of diagram and I appreciate the feedback. I have added the input->outputs to the diagram and added thin lines showing the connections at the switch as well to hopefully help with the confusion.

You are correct in that the RV is a 50 amp service so when connected to 50amp shore power I'm getting 120/240v split-phase into the distribution panel, however, there are no 240v appliances and so my panel is seeing 120v on 2 separate phased legs.

I am essentially trying to accomplish what a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone adaptor does, where it will connect a single 120 volt hot pole to both the L1 and L2 inputs of your RV's 50 amp breaker panel. Only I want to use my inverter as the input rather than shore power.

just include the switch modes in the original diagram. i keep switching back and forth but i gave up.
Yeah, I gotta have bussbar connections, not just wires touching box
I have modified the original post and diagram to show the connections better inside the switch. I apologize for the confusion. This is my first attempt at drawing anything like this out to get other's feedback on it. Hopefully this helps.

I'm still not following the switch. Do you have an actual link for the switch?

I don't believe there is any issue with this setup, even if I plug into a 50 amp connection with the switch in position 1, leg 2 will enter the switch and then go nowhere else since it won't be connected at that point. So there is no way to accidentally plug into 50amp shore power and send 240 volts into the panel (via leg 2 and the inverter, if that makes sense). It would just power both panels via a single 120v leg as a passthrough.

Thanks in advance. I've been going over this for a few days and I think I have it sorted, but want to hear from others since I don't feel like burning down my RV
Panel 1 always gets power.

Panel 2 gets half of its phase power (red line) when the switch is in position 1, and the other half of its phase power (black line) when the switch is in position 2 AND shore power is available. It will never have power on both phases. (Well, it's really single phase, but you know what I mean.) That means that half the stuff in panel will work sometimes, and the other half will work other times when shore power is present. You never get 240V.

I doubt that's what you want.

Panel 1 always gets power.

Panel 2 gets half of its phase power (red line) when the switch is in position 1, and the other half of its phase power (black line) when the switch is in position 2 AND shore power is available. It will never have power on both phases. (Well, it's really single phase, but you know what I mean.) That means that half the stuff in panel will work sometimes, and the other half will work other times when shore power is present. You never get 240V.

I doubt that's what you want.
My understanding is that on a 240v split phase in an RV you aren't technically delivering 240v to the panel. You are delivering 120v on 2 different legs. 120v goes into one side of the panel and 120v goes into the other side of the panel via a shared 50amp breaker. A 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone adapter bridges Leg 1 and Leg 2 together and feeds them both with a single 120v single phase line. This is essentially what I'm trying to accomplish with this switch.

I have slightly modified the diagram and added it to the post above that does exactly what a dog bone does when in position 1 (Connects L1 and L2 together to allow both sides of the panel to have power) and then in position 2 it will disconnect L1 and L2 allowing the shore power to provide the full 120v split phase to both sides.

Looks like you are energizing the power cord when running off the inverter.

Back